Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Chug... Chug... Chug....

It's true what everybody says...


The worst part of a colonoscopy is drinking down the 4 liters of liquid (slightly over one gallon!!) the night before!
The doctor's office suggested I mix it with Crystal Light Lemonade to make it more palatable (I'd hate to think what it would have tasted like without the lemonade mix because it was hardly a yummy concoction!!) Apparently there is a pill that some doctor's offer, rather than the drink, but my doctor prefers the liquid over the pill, so that wasn't an option for me...
But - and here's the important part - the colonscopy was a breeze!!!
Every year, at my physical, my doctor tells me I need to go for a colonoscopy, and I every year I "put it off till next year." So after six years (yes, six, very bad.. I know), I finally booked my appointment.
I would like to reassure anyone who hasn't yet gone for a colonoscopy out of fear, or embarrassment, or for any other reason (I had many, believe me).... all my fears/embarrassment/excuses were completely unfounded. And beyond that, I can actually say it was a pleasant experience! After checking in, they brought me to the "prep" area where I relaxed in bed, reading the book I brought, until they wheeled me into the examination room, at which time they gave me a sedative that within minutes (seconds?) allowed me to drift off... The next thing I knew, they were asking how I was feeling, giving me my results, and getting me up to walk around a bit. I felt absolutely fine and was able to get dressed - no discomfort whatsoever - nothing! I then got to sit in a comfy chair and read some more while they called my daughter to come pick me up. It was a relaxing, pleasant day.... Would I have waited SIX years if I'd known all this? No! Did I ever think I would use the words RELAXING and PLEASANT in the same sentence as COLONOSCOPY? No!!! What a sweet surprise! So I'm hoping that if any of you out there in blogland have been procrastinating about this procedure, like I did, that you'll pick up the phone and make your appointment today!
Oh, and the doctor said she doesn't need to see me for another 5 years... Maybe they'll come up with something tasty to drink by then!
Donna

13 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

Glad it all went OK hun, this reminds me I've been putting off my smear test and really must get it done :-S

Mel xxx

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

It is a breeze, isn't it??!! I got mine over 2 years ago when I found out my older sister had been diagnosed with colon cancer...i was going to do it but that really pushed me to do it sooner. My Dr gave me gatorade with miralax and dulcolax....the night before is the rough part but the rest is nothing! Glad you had it done and everything is good!
~Patti

Connie said...

Been there and drank that stuff, sugar! Hated it but the rest was definitely a breeze compared to drinking that yucky, yucky junk!
xoxo,
Connie

Anonymous said...

I drank so much of it that I started vomiting it up. Made me totally nauseous. Called the doctor's office and they said to definitely stop drinking it... I WILL INSIST on the pill next time. Just really nasty stuff.

Doc said it looked okay up my pooper too. *grins*

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Joanne Kennedy said...

Hi,

I've been having trouble getting on your blog for a few days so I couldn't read what you have been up to.

Glad to hear it all went well. I went one time and woke up durning the procedure. It hurt so bad! The Dr. yelled at me to not move as I could have really gotten injured. He quickly (though not quick enough) gave me more meds to knock me out.

I swore I would never go do another one again.

Thankfully everything was ok.

Glad to hear you are ok too.

Hugs,
Joanne

Lydia said...

Donna - I had one in February - and I totally agree - it was the hardest getting that stuff down. I did not fall asleep during the procedure though and it was interesting to watch it happen.

Jo said...

My dtr had the miralax and gatorade - said she'll never drink green gatorade again. She agreed with you worst part was the night b/4.....Jo

Life on an artistic shoestring said...

Yes, the worst is the drinking... but the actual procedure is quick and you're knocked out, so it's not bad. I have to have one every 3 years, since precancerous polyps were found. I'm glad that you went...everyone over 50 should go.

The Curious Cat said...

Thanks for sharing - that is actually good to know...I have issues with my tummy - we've done blood test which came back normal and some of the later steps get a bit more er...off putting...this brings me a little relief! xxx

Karen said...

Well thanks for sharing this! I promised my sister that if she went in for one - I would too! So she is scheduled next week (but I have to see the doctor first before mine). My husband has had four in the last three years, so I am familiar with them. I'm more afraid of being 'put out' than anything else:) But I thank you again SO MUCH for talking about this - it really could save lives (and I am SO happy you passed your test w/flying colors!!). And LOVE your blog by they way - just found it today!

joyh82 said...

I am glad you had a good experience and good results. It has changed a lot from what I hear since I had mine about 8 years ago.
Love your beautiful gardens!

Anonymous said...

I didn't see anyone else mention it, but I'm told by several friends that the liquid goes down a bit easier if you drink it thru a straw. By pass the taste buds, straight down the throat! If you didn't do that, try it next time.
Laurel

Life on the Edge said...

Thanks for sharing this. My doctor has not yet prescribed a colonoscopy, but I have a feeling that since I hit the big 5-0 that it will be a something she recommends in the near future. So glad to know that there is nothing to fear!

Kady