Thursday, June 21, 2012

Vintage Bird Cage Planter for the Garden, a DIY project


 I finally got around to setting up this year's bird cage planter!

For a while, it looked like we were going to attempt mounting the bird cage to the top of our birdhouse pole. We honestly didn't think we'd be able to put the birdhouse together again once it broke into dozens of pieces after a winter storm. Thank goodness we were able to save it (blogpost about the birdhouse here).

 It's so easy to make these birdcage planters. Most of the cages have tops that can be removed. If your cage has a tray, take that out so the water can drain out when watering. Just arrange your plants, and if you have any trailing plants (I put a vinca vine in each corner), gently pull the vines through the cage bars.

Once I had my vinca vine and impatiens arranged, I decided to add a garden statue (I should have thought of that before and arranged the flowers around the statue).

I decided on these two lovebirds as they're tall and will still show as the flowers get taller. I just pushed the flowers aside to make room for the statue. (The flowers and vines are all in their original containers from the garden center).

I love the little domed door and ornamental scroll work on the door of this old cage, not to mention the aqua blue base!

 I have an old white table that I use for this bird cage planter every year. It's the perfect size!

 The location on the deck changes from year to year. This year it's over by the fountain, which is also in a different location this year.

 It is so relaxing to sit out here on summer days and evenings (until the mosquitoes crash the party!)

 Generally there's no tablecloth on the table as I'm sure it could easily blow away on a breezy day. But I have several old, vintage tablecloths with minor stains or holes, and they're perfect to throw over the table when we are out there.

 And would you look who's been watching me take photos out here! I tossed a few peanuts in front of the slider and the Chips have been keeping her entertained! They all know by now that she's on the other side of the screen and therefore they're safe!

This is the baker's rack that you see in the background of the previous photo. Nothing special going on here. Just my always reliable impatiens and a few ground cover flats that will get planted in the fall. I love using ground covers for 'display' on the deck and around the yard until they get planted in the fall.

AS a matter of fact, here's another bird cage planter I have down by our swingset deck this year. It's very similar to the cage up on the deck, but a smaller size. I just stuck a ground cover inside of it for the summer months and then I'll plant it this fall.

 I'll have to share before and after photos of our honeysucke vine in the background. We planted that to climb a homeade obelisk a few years ago and it has done amazingly well in this spot! (The hummers agree!)

If you need more info on making birdcage planters, I have a DIY link on my sidebar that gives a bit more information. Check it out if you have any questions!

Enjoy the weekend, everyone!

I'm hooking up to My Romantic Home's Show & Tell Friday this week.

Donna


7 comments:

Sharon said...

I love your bird cage planters. My favorite is one with the bird statue.

It is so much fun to give things a new purpose!

Your yard is so beautiful and inviting!

Betsy said...

Love the bird cage planter, what a neat thing to do.
betsy

Brenda Pruitt said...

I definitely need to look for some bird cages so I can do this. How pretty, Donna! I love your whole yard. Do you leave that gazebo up year round, or do you take it down? I see it in the background with poles.
Brenda

Susan said...

Awwwwwwww, so cute, Donna. Great job. Baby looks content. Thanks for sharing. Susan

Claudia said...

I think your birdcage planter is the neatest idea, Donna. It looks beautiful. I'll have to keep my eye out for a used birdcage. Love the aqua bottom. I also love that your yard has so many rooms. You've planned it out so well!

xo
Claudia

Anonymous said...

HI Donna! I love your birdcage planter and your yard looks lovely! I checked out your kitchen and it's darling!! Thanks for your sweet comments.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Rose Garden Malevik said...

Hi Donna
Love that Planter :)
HAPPY MIDSUMMER
and do not miss.....

M
I
D
S
U
M
M
E
R

P
A
R
T
Y

it is FUN :)
WELCOME
Håkan ( The Roseman)