Monday, November 5, 2012

Exercise your right to vote...

There is no exercise you can do on Tuesday that is more important
than exercising your right to vote.
 

I don't normally talk politics on my blog (although it may have been obvious from my sidebar for the past few weeks who I am voting for).

I've always wanted my blog to be a carefree, friendly, welcoming place when people come to visit. And it seems that these days, there is nothing relaxing or carefree about politics. I'm a registered Independent. I've always preferred to vote on issues rather than political party. I usually end up voting Republican fiscally. On some social issues, where I might have a different opinion, I can vote on my state's ballot.

I've been especially timid to talk about this election because, to be quite honest, in some circles voting for Romney is an absolute no-no. In fact, what I've gleaned from some in the national news media during the course of election campaign coverage is that to do so means that, 1) I am stupid, 2) I am uneducated, and 3) that I may very well be a racist.

I am voting for the things that are most important to me, and I believe that is what most people do. Why can't we all respect each other's right to vote for the candidate who they feel will do the best job without turning this election into hateful name calling?  Maybe I am naive, but I cannot understand why Stacey Dash, a black actress, was so viciously attacked after she tweeted her support for Romney. Is voting strictly a racial issue? Are we only allowed to vote for skin color and not issues?  If so, why is nobody attacking white actresses who support Obama?  The point is, nobody should be attacked for supporting the candidate who THEY feel will do the best job for our country. Period. This attacking people for having a different viewpoint has to stop if we are ever to become a United States of America again.

I have a very good friend who votes Democratic. She knows I typically vote Republican. We love each other to death. We each have different viewpoints about politics in general. There are probably a few changes each of us would make in our candidate's platforms if we could, but we choose the candidate who we most strongly feel will be best for the country. And our love and respect for each other will never be thwarted by politics. (Love you, Jill!) I respect her right to vote for who she chooses and she respects mine. Isn't that the way America is supposed to work? Can't we agree to disagree without being personally attacked?

I am voting for Romney because the runaway deficit scares me to death, especially for my girls who are now in their twenties. I fear that by the time they are my age, or even younger, they will be paying 50-60 cents (or more) of every dollar they earn toward taxes to support over-the-top government waste and spending.

I'm voting for Romney because I believe he is the right man at the right time for this job. I believe he has the unique blend of both government and private business experience to get the country back on track. I'm from Massachusetts and I think he did a great job as our governor. He had to work across the aisle in this very Democratic State and I believe he will do the same in Washington, bringing people and parties back together.

I'm voting for Romney because he is genuinely a kind, caring person. No matter how the media tries to portray him, I trust my own judgement on character. I don't want a slick, polished politician from any party. There are too many of them on both sides. I want a real, honest-to-God person who may, on occasion, say things like "binders full of women" (yes, that was the main story on the nightly news for days and days. Nevermind that the world was falling apart around us) And by the way, the real women in those binders have nothing but praise for Mitt Romney. If you are interested in knowing what the women who have worked with Romney think of him, please click the following link to read an article about the women executives who are speaking out on his behalf, who are blogging about him, and who are campaigning across the country for him, etc.

Image Credit: Zumapress




 


So are things better for my family than they were four years ago? No. Yet another reason on the long list of reasons I'm voting for Romney.

Tomorrow when I vote, I'll also be thinking of my dad who owned a very small trucking company for many, many years when I was growing up. Who after working long hours during the day would come home and then do the paperwork and billing at night. And my father, who built that company all by himself with no help from the government, will be proud of the decision I've made on who to vote for.

PLEASE make time to get to the polls tomorrow, whether you are a Republican, a Democrat, or an Independent. PLEASE exercise your right to vote!

I know I'm voting for love of my country.

 
(click photo to play)



Why I Changed My Vote
(cick photo to play)
(WhyIChangedMyVote.com)

Donna

8 comments:

Ellen Hite said...

Thanks for further qualifying my decision. Your actual experience in Massachusetts gave me more knowledge than any news report (I try NOT to listen to them, only Fox because they do present both sides contrary to what some think). I am voting for the love of my contry, also.

Hope Baby is doing well. I love the Baby updates.

sandy said...

I've been a bit hesitant to talk politics on the internet because it seems to get so hostile. But I share your thoughts! And I'm voting today! Tomorrow my post is about a Voting Day Tea. Would love to have you join me. Thanks for your bravery in sharing your political thoughts.
sandy

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I also consider myself an independent, and typically vote Republican for fiscal reasons also. We have a lot in common being conservative, especially in the last four years, I have been called a racist more than not, ignorant, uneducated (have a masters) and hostility dismissed and laughed at. But if that's the price I pay to say what I believe and follow my conscious I will. I've often said I am tired of the way I am treated as a conservative women. I will vote for Mitt Romney, and am ashamed I didn't have the courage to put Mitt's logo on my side bar. New to your blog and love it.

Donna said...

Bravo! You are very articulate in your analysis. I am a strong fiscal conservative and fearful that this country will soon end up in a fiscal crisis like Greece. People that call us names or try to intimidate us because of our conservative beliefs are merely revealing their lack of character. The vile rhetoric of the left speaks for itself.

I voted early and proudly voted for Romney/Ryan! He wasn't my initial choice in the primary. But I see now that he was truly the best candidate and I am a big fan. He's exactly what this country needs at this point in time. God willing...

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

I voted early and am a proud Romney supporter. Right now, this country needs leadership and he is a proven leader.

Margy said...

Ditto everything you said! Mitt has my vote...

Olive said...

Hi Donna, we voted a couple of weeks ago and feel much the same as you. We must change the direction of our country. My 21 year old college kiddo cannot find a job because people my age are taking minimum wage jobs now. xo, olive

C M Designs said...

Oh, how I wish the results had been different.
May God bless America in these next four years.
You're so right to speak your mind.
Blessings, Charlotte