Friday, November 1, 2013

A collage of leaves...

The yard is filled with piles of leaves that have fallen with reckless abandon.

From the dining room window, I could see Mrs. Bunny wearing a fascinator of sorts.

 These leaves stayed wedged between her ears for days, so I went out and took photos of her on a few occasions. Behind her is the 'lone hydrangea' that I wrote about here.

Mary's photo was taken several weeks ago before the foliage rapidly started turning. We still need to cover her for the winter. Someday I'd actually love to bring her indoors (permanently). I'm so afraid that the harsh winters and blistering summers are going to ruin her perfect chippy finish.

Just a few short weeks ago Baby and I were enjoying the windows thrown wide open. But not anymore.

Again, a photo from several weeks ago before everything really started turning, and the weather was pleasant. This is the backyard of my dad's house, where my sister lives.

More recent photos of our own backyard where, due to the now chilly weather ...

... the trees have been painted red, gold, and orange.

I know they say the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle, but we get some pretty spectacular ones here in Massachusetts, too!

These photos were all taken in the morning when the sun was still climbing.

I must admit, when I actually sit outside on the patio, I get more than a tad depressed that the summer went by so quickly.

I don't adjust well to the colder weather, and winter in particular, arriving.

I long for the backyard to look like this again. But at the same time, I am reminded of the Charlotte Bronte quotation I used on one of my art prints, "If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant."

And so I will bundle up and make the best of this cooler (soon to be frigid) weather...

... while dreaming of the not too distant future when, once again, the apple trees blossom and the clematis vines bloom and cascade over the arbor.

Wishing you all a lovely fall season.

Donna

11 comments:

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

Living in Wisconsin, I do so wish I could find something ~ anything ~ to like about winter. In 63 years, I have yet to find it. I, too live with memories of the summer and counting the days until it arrives once again. Dec. 21 is one of my favorite days as it means the days begin to get longer again. Wonderful post!! Thanks!

Ann said...

I just noticed you are in Massachusetts -- lived there myself for 25 years after growing up in Vermont so I can relate to the idea of not enjoying the cold. We finally made the break, sold everything, moved onto our sailboat in San Diego for five years and now live in wonderfully warm (hot!) Lake Havasu, AZ. Last week it was still in the 90's here and this week has dropped into the high 70's and low 80's. Sunny all the time ... paradise.

Christina Paul said...

What beautiful Fall pics! You captured this magical season!

Betty said...

Your yard looks so pretty. We have tons of leaves in our yard too, but we do not have trees. They are all from our neighbors trees.

Barb said...

Such a poetic post. Quite lovely!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Love Mrs Bunny with her hat! :)

Donna said...

Thank you for a visual peek of your corner of the world during these autumn days. Marty approves of the oak leaf headdress, LOL!

Susan said...

The yard and trees look beautiful, Donna. Really lovely photos.

Awwwww, Donna. Give Mary a shower and bring her in for the winter. You could put her on a dresser top or even in the corner near the fireplace?
It's too cold to leave her out for yet another winter. She's a lovely Mary statue. (Just suggesting. It's your decision!)

Hope you have a nice weekend. Guess what I did today? Planted a slew of muscari bulbs, in anticipation of a lovely spring flower garden out front. Susan

On a Wing and a Prayer said...

Just just beautiful!!!!

Melanie said...

Like you, Donna, I get depressed when I think about the upcoming winter. Your photos show how truly beautiful fall is. Wish it would stay that beautiful for a tad longer! The bunny with the leaf on her head made me smile. :-)

Elaine said...

Such a pretty backyard. Fall has been amazing this year! The brilliant color is still visible. I'm loving it.