Saturday, August 1, 2015

Our sweet Tiger ... one heck of a cat...

Amanda came home last weekend ...

... and I took photos of she and Tiger napping on the sofa together...

... as well as a closeup of the mani Tiger got at the Vet's earlier in the week.

Little did I know when I took these photos, that they would be the last pictures I would ever take of our Tiger.

We lost our sweet little girl this past Wednesday.

(Photo taken Apr. 4, 2015)
She would have been 22 years old this month (August).

Amanda and Tiger go way back. In September of 1993 when we were looking to adopt a kitten, we somehow came home with two, a brother and a sister from the same litter. Amanda chose Tiger while Courtney chose her brother Spotty.

From that very first night until many years later when Amanda left for college, Tiger slept with Amanda on her bed... every single night.

In Tiger's younger days, she was quite a wild child, even managing to get up onto - and walk across - the beams in the family room.

When Amanda made her home in the city after graduating from college, she thought Tiger would be happiest in the house she had always known. Amanda's old bedroom became my studio/office... 

... and Tiger became my roommate. Amanda and Tiger's bed stayed in place as that was Tiger's comfort zone and the place she continued to sleep every night. This was the view I had from my painting desk. Little Tiger. I could not have asked for a more perfect view.

In recent years, Tiger preferred to spend most of her time in the bedroom/studio/office...

... with just occasional jaunts down the hallway to see what snacks were being served in the kitchen. She and Mr. J had a lot in common, nothing more so than their love of treats.

When we first became roommates, I jokingly referred to Tiger as my muse. Sometimes she'd sit under my desk, just looking up at me while I painted. One time I put her on my lap and she kept studying the 'work in progress.' She'd then turn and look up at me. That went on for quite a bit. I found her 'advice' very helpful while I worked on that piece, all the more fitting now considering the quotation I used.

I will miss you my sweet roomie. We all will. The room seems so empty without you.

(Tiger in her new bed, Apr. 2, 2015)
This was a bed on top of Tiger's big bed. She was able to get into it and stay warm.

We were so blessed to have had you in our lives for so many years.
Love you, Tiger.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Mary, you don't have a blog so I wasn't able t visit you, but thank you for your sweet comment. We're also in New England. And to answer your question, when Tiger was young she was an amazing climber/jumper. She would jump from the back of our sofa to the top of a hutch. From the hutch she would jump onto the top of one of the built-in closets in the Family Room that had a flat top rather than extending all the way up to the cathedral ceiling. From the top of the closet she'd jump up to one of the two beams that run across the entire span of the family room. She was an incredible kitty. And I know what you mean. My whole life I've said, "never again" when we lose one of our fur babies because the pain is just too intense. But, like you, we then think of how many more fur babies are out there who desperately need a loving home... 

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Laura, thank you so much for your kind comment. I wasn't able to figure out how to visit you (or even if you had a blog) as I've never updated my Google. I believe some day we will be together again, too!!! Thank you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Jeannine, thank you so much for visiting and commenting on our sweet Tiger. I love how you described her, "a fine lady." That she was. Thank you.

24 comments:

Chy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a precious companion!

Carla said...

Oh Donna. I'm so sorry that Tiger is gone. What a sweet kitty she was. So pretty. She sure brought a lot of love to your family and leaves you with many happy memories.

Mary said...

Sad, I have had many, many cats. I always so no more knowing that that awful day will come. Yet we still fall in love with these wonderful pets, buddies. Tiger was indeed one of a kind, I still remember wondering how she got up there on that beam? Condolences to you all.

Henny Penny said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I can not help but cry. What a sweet sweet cat. How wonderful that you had her for 22 years and how lucky Tiger was to have been loved and cared for all those years by such a great family. Thinking of you all.

Maria (Magia Mia) said...

Oh Donna, my heart hurts for you right now, as I type through the tears. Your Tiger was clearly a sweet baby girl, and to live such a long life shows how much she was loved. You all gave her everything she needed to be happy. They need so little, and give 1000% back to us. It's funny how a creature so small can fill up a room just by being it. I lost my Chloe at 19-1/2 years old, and when she left, I was saying how she was so much bigger than that tiny little body. She had a perch on the back of the couch, so she was right over my shoulder most of time. For a long time, I couldn't look to my right, because I could feel the emptiness of that spot. She was my Muse too, and her spirit is with me always. I am quite sure that Tiger will visit you, even if you can't see her. A long warm hug to you and yours, Donna...♥♥♥

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

That was a very touching story about Tiger with appropriate photographs. I had a "Tiger" as well. Never have I lived with a cat that was 22. 17 years was the longest I ever lived with a cat. I wish I could have had 5 more years. That would make me happy. I am sorry Tiger has left you. I am certain he had a wonderful life.

J said...

I am crying too. What a beautiful tribute to a beloved pet. She had the best of everything from wonderful, wonderful people. I am so sorry.
Human beings are the only species who adopt, knowing full well that a day like today will someday arrive. But we do it anyway because they need us more than we need them. Or is it the other way around?....
What a blessing to have had Tiger. I'm one of those who firmly believes that she waits for you until the time is right, in "a place with no sorrow or tears!"

Marilyn said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Tiger.
She was a beautiful kitty, and very loyal companion.
You gave her a LOT of love, and she lived a very long life because of all of you.
Marilyn

Unknown said...

Dear Donna,
I am so very sorry about Tiger! She is a very Special, very Loved and very well Cared for, Precious kitty! I know what it's like to lose a precious pet who is a beloved member of the family. I hold you in my thoughts and prayers. I fully believe that our loving God will reunite us with all of our loved ones.
Hugs,
Laura Marec

Merlesworld said...

They have a special place in our hearts.
Merle.......

BeachGypsy said...

Oh Donna, I just now read this.......I'm so so so sorry for the loss of your sweet and special and beautiful Tiger. What a beauty she was...and what a big part of your lives. What a long and happy life she had with y'all...so many special moments, and so many adventures. What joy she brought to your family. Rest in sweet slumber, dear and sweet Tiger, someday you and your family will be re-united. Until that day arrives, your earthly family will remember you and miss you, sweet girl kitty.

Susan said...

Dear Donna....
NOOOOOOOOOO. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Just read your post about Tiger. I cannot believe she died. I always loved your posts about her.Well, gosh, you had her 22 years. Our Honey Cat was 17 when she died last May 6th, 2014. My heart still has a huge aching hole in it and will probably always have it, just as yours for your beloved Tiger.

Donna, I am SO SO SORRY. Oh, I just weep to think of how you feel. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Susan

Henny Penny said...

Dear Donna,
Hope you are doing well. Thank YOU for the sweet comment. Just wanted to thank you for telling me about the book, I have found it on Amazon. It sounds exactly like something I would enjoy reading. I meant to tell you in my last comment how adorable your daughters were in those older pictures. I have two daughters and it reminded me of them when they were that age.

Unknown said...

22 years is very old for a cat and a very long time for Tiger to become such an important part of your life. I hope my furballs all live to be at least 22 years old but if they don't we will find a new kitten that will need our love. But the hurt will still be there. Sending you a big hug.

Rue said...

I'm so sorry, Donna. It's always so hard to lose a beloved pet. I'll say a prayer for you and your family.

(((hugs)))
rue

sheri said...

Oh, Donna, I'm in tears. I'm sorry for your loss. I know how much your family loved Tiger. I can tell by your pictures and stories that she was a sweet, special soul. It's very difficult to lose a pet, but remember Tiger had an extra long life full of love and happiness, and will never be forgotten.

Jan said...

I've just caught up with your post... and I'm sending hugs across the blogosphere. I lost my tabby cat, who used to cuddle/sleep with me in exactly the same way, back in 2003. It's hard to lose our feline friends.. even when they live to a really good age. Jx

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

So sorry for your lose of Tiger, losing a family member is never easy! She certainly lived a very long full life with love.

annie said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Each and every animal is special and precious.
I share your pain having lost my Garfield on May 31 of this year. He was almost 21 and my constant companion and friend. I still hear him around the house or think I see him rounding a corner.
God bless you and give you comfort.

Jeannine520 said...

I'm so sorry Donna. Tiger sounds like a fine lady and certainly one heck of a cat. I'm so sorry for your loss.

BetteJo said...

I haven't been around to blogs for quite a while, and I am so sorry to come here and read this. But my oh my - almost 22 years old! And she got to sleep with Amanda again, just like when they were both kids. Maybe that was her chance to say goodbye - the last thing on her kitty bucket list, to sleep with Amanda again and then she was ready to go.
I lost 3 cats in the last 2 years - it's a tough, tough thing. I'm sure you are content in knowing you gave her a wonderful life and she was well loved, but missing her will always be there. I have a feeling you will see her from time to time - resting where she did when she was your roommate. :)

Elaine said...

I am so sorry. My heart breaks every time I read about someone losing a beloved pet. Tiger lived a good long life and certainly had a loving home with you and Amanda. May she rest in peace.

Deb said...

Donna, I don't know how I missed this post but I just wanted to say how sorry I was to read that you have lost your dear Tiger. There are no words to describe how much it hurts. I've been there many times. What a grand old girl she was and how fortunate to have been loved all her life by one family. She was one of the lucky ones. I hope your memories of her help to heal your broken heart. Sending a hug, Deb

Ellen Hite said...

I am so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet Tiger.