Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I'm guilty of playing favorites...

I know I shouldn't play favorites, but I can't help it...

(you can click any photos to enlarge)

(Sammy under the fuschia)
It's another overcast day here in New England. As I was looking through the window, hoping to see some hint of the sun trying to poke through...


... I noticed a "Chip" staring at me (but that is going to be a post for another day)... When I got back with my camera to take photos of Chip, I was very excited to see that my favorite squirrel (who I've named "My Sammy") had come for a visit.


I always know when it's "My Sammy" because his walk and movements are quite different from the other squirrels... (Here he is having a little chat with Nike, the garden turtle, on the deck railing)...


My Sammy stopped short when he saw little Christmas Tree Shop bunny, still on the railing from yesterday's "garden statue" photo shoot... I can just hear him thinking, "Well who are you? You aren't usually up here!"


He inched closer and closer, and after sniffing little CTS bunny, he was relieved to discover there would be no competition for peanut treats as she assured him she was more interested in flowers and plants!


Then he was off to check out the birdcage planter. I think he was trying to find a way into the cage to visit Mrs. Birdie for a bit! (As you can see, he's very social with all the garden statues!)


Oops - it looks like I've been spotted...


He stood up on his little hind legs, all excited - can you see the look of anticipation in his eyes? Ah yes, he knew what was coming next because he knows that I'm "The Peanut Lady"...


He scrambled down from the railing as quickly as he could... As I said, his movements are quite different from the other squirrels - more measured, a little slower. I believe his is a birth defect rather than an injury. He has a very short right arm with limited movement (most always held at a 90 degree angle), an almost non-existent paw, and one especially long claw extending from it. His rear foot is long and flat and flops around a lot, so he doesn't have full control over it to climb with.

I first noticed him at our feeder toward the end of fall last year, and I prayed that he would be able to make it through the rough New England winters since he was definitely at a disadvantage when it came to gathering food and escaping danger (the other squirrels were always quicker to get to the nuts thrown for them, or to climb trees to escape some of the neighborhood cats that roam free), but he has adapted very well.... It's fascinating to watch him gather nuts. Unlike most of the squirrels, who will take one nut at a time, he will try to take 2 or 3 at a time (very smart!). He lowers the front half of his body to the ground and rolls it onto the bad side so his short arm is resting on the ground. Then, with his good arm/paw, he pulls the nut into the crook of his bad arm, and then roll himself back up again.


Isn't he just adorable? Just look at that sweet face! It makes me melt.....
So yes, I know I shouldn't have favorites, but "My Sammy" tugs at my heartstrings in a very special way!


Donna

30 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my goodness how cute is he!?!?! And so friendly. I try and take pictures of squirrels and they run as fast as they can. I guess I will just have to introduce myself as the peanut lady. Amazing shots!
Heather:)

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I love squirrels too & I can't tell you how envious I am of your "chips". How cool that they come to visit & eat from your hands!!!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

What a cute little guy. You have such a big heart, I'm rooting for the little guy too! We also have racoons & skunks, not such great visitors those skunks. Some nights they leave a little odor behind~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Debra Howard said...

Oh how funny his antics are. I love your porch too. Looks like a nice place to sit back with a nice cool glass of iced tea.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh.. my boston terrier would be throught the window with such a close up. The squirel is adorable!!

Mabry's gamma said...

Sammy is very cute and I can see why you consider him a "favorite." Bless you for feeding him his peanuts.

Claudia said...

Oh, Donna, he would be my favorite too. We love to root for the underdog. Bless his heart, he has adapted to his shortcomings and seems to do well. I love that you watch out for him and that he knows you are the Peanut Lady. What a great story!

Cindy said...

We have a "pet" squirrel also. He is a little brown one. We have named him Squire. When we go out the back door he chatters away at us, all the while looking right at us. Or when we pull up in our vehicle, he will stop, look straight at us and chatter away. We have not gotten him to eat out of our hands yet, I should get some peanuts and see. Lovely story, thanks. Hugs, ~cindy s~

Kathi said...

How sweet. Love this post.
My daughter and her hubby rescued a baby squirrel once and named him "Sammy" too. He stayed around their yard for years. When they moved they were very sad about leaving Sammy. He was so friendly that I'm sure the new people at the house will love him too. Your photos are great! Love the close ups!

Lisa said...

Super cute!! I love all your critters!
Hugs, Lisa

Dawn said...

Sammy is quite amazing. I don't think he has any thing to worry about with you on his side. It sure is cute how he gets along with all your little statues! Nice story.
Dawn

Allidink said...

Awww poor little squirrel! God bless you for watching out for it lol. I would too! What a cute little thing. We used to live in an area with squirrels and would feed them peanuts all the time.

All the best,
Allison

Elaine said...

Oh, he is so sweet! And smart, to figure out how to overcome his "shortcomings".

He'll be fine, he has you looking out for him.

Esther said...

How cute. Being from Australia I've never seen a squirrel so naturally they fascinate me.How could you not love that face.

I guess it's similar to how my kids just walk past the kangaroos in their friends paddocks whereas tourists would scream excitedly.

Unknown said...

Your little animal friend is lucky to have a friend in you! I'm sure you feel luck too in that you are able to enjoy his antics! What a cutie! :)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh dear! I don't even like squirrels and I can feel a soft spot for him too.

PattieJ said...

Awwwww what a cutie!!Love your deck! sooo pretty and inviting!

Pattie

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

Considering squirrels are in the rodent family, they really are quite cute and comical little creatures. I love the photo where he's got his front feet on the birdcage and he's spotted you. Too cute! He certainly seems to have a lot of personality and I can easily see why he's your favorite. Thanks for this sweet post. It made me smile. :)

Sometimes It's Good said...

Mr. Sammy is adorable! I'm so glad he's making it through life even with his disabilities. Bless you for giving him the extra peanuts.
Hugs, Susan

Blessings each day said...

Gosh...you have a bazillion followers...wonder if you'll even see me down here...halloooo up there (sorry, it's getting late, I'm tired and get goofier than normal then).

Just loved your cute squirrel photos which are also just plain gorgeous photography.

So good to see that you love and treasure animals...all four of ours are rescues.

blessings,

marcy

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh, he is so cute! How neat that he takes the peanuts from your hand. Your photos of his journey around your deck railing are great! I enjoyed this. laurie

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adored this post. It is my favorite one. Your photos are magnificent!

They just don't grow 'em like Sammy here in Florida. We have tiny scrawny little squirrels and they are skittish, too. Nothing like my good old Minnesota squirrels - fat and sassy, friendly and so cheeky.

I adore them. I've fostered 2 in my life, and they were just yummy. I could pet and kiss them, they climbed through my hair and would lie around my neck like a living fur. TY for sharing Sammy.

Tomorrow for Pink Saturday I'm featuring a slideshow of lovely flowers from my Dad's gardens around his home on the St. Croix River in Wisconsin.

Today I have a post on Slide, an application that lets you have slideshows on your blog, website whatever.

Take Care, J
http://MaidenShade.wordpress.com

Jean Tuthill said...

Sammy is so cute and he seems like he's grateful for the peanuts. The pictures are great and Sammy seems so happy.

w00ts up said...

Look at him posing for the camera! That is so darling! Cute, cute, cute!

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

Ahhhh, Sammy's a sweetheart, and I'm so happy your taking care of him by giving him some treats. A lot of people out there don't like these little guys, and for me any kind of animal is welcome in my yard. Just keep spoiling him!! He's a sweetie-

Take Care-

Chandy said...

He is adorable and glad he has you to care for him... Awwww...

Crystal said...

Oh my gosh, how cute is he, sooo cute. You really were able to capture some great photos. He looks like he really knows you :)
Thanks for sharing!
Crystal

Crystal said...

Oh my gosh, how cute is he, sooo cute. You really were able to capture some great photos. He looks like he really knows you :)
Thanks for sharing!
Crystal

SmilingSally said...

He knows where he'll find a good snack.

Cleaning Melbourne said...

He's so cute... Darn!