Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Summer porch party...


Well that about says it all!! Thank you, Mr. White Rabbit!

The sweet Rhondi of Rose Colored Glasses is hosting a Summer Porch Party (which actually started yesterday), so be sure to hop over to her blog in a bit to visit her beautiful porch (teaser: it is absolute, total eye candy!!!); you'll also find a list of other all the other bloggers who are having porch parties!

(click any photos to enlarge)

So welcome to my little porch (which is, in reality, a little deck off the family room of our split level "cottage"). Let me give you a quick tour before we sit down to eat..


First let me turn on the fountain. I love to hear the sound of running water when I'm out here on the deck. Oh, and that's basil growing in the wicker planter next to the fountain (I snipped some a bit earlier to use in our salad). This corner of the deck overlooks the back yard (a work in progress... it's gone from a 21' above ground pool to a crater to a garden-in-the-making over the past few years!)... And just look at that beautiful hanging fuschia! Maybe we'll see a hummingbird or two while we're out here...

The flowers inside my birdcage planter are doing great! (Here is the original "how to make a birdcage planter" post)...

This corner of the deck faces the girls' old tree house. Even though it doesn't get used anymore, it brings back great memories of when the girls were younger. And look at that - another fuschia for the hummingbirds!
I just moved the feeder to this corner the other night. I think they'll like this area. I love it when the hummingbirds visit while we're out here.


Isn't this a pretty plant stand? It's old and rusty - exactly as I found it several years ago at a junktique shop...

It sits in the corner near the house, right next to a very old carpenter's bench.


Oh how I wish the clematis on the front gate arbor was blooming, but it's not quite ready. My banner photo will give you a good idea of what it will look like in a few weeks.


We painted the plant stands this weekend (they rust very badly every summer, and not the pretty 'charming' rust - TOTAL rust)... And this morning I filled them with flowers - just in time for your visit!


Oh, good, the spinach squares are ready...


...so let's head over to the table.


I thought this vintage robin's egg blue tablecloth with pink roses would be nice for a summer porch party!


Sit whereever you'd like and we'll get started on our early supper...


I hope you like blueberry iced tea. I love serving beverages in these oversized mugs (my "assorted mug" collection - from The Christmas Tree Shop, of course!).


We'll start with a simple salad... romaine lettuce, Roma tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh snipped basil.


I hope you like spinach! I made spinach squares using this simple recipe I found on-line (although I skipped the Parmesian cheese at the end)... And don't the lemon squares that Amanda made look good? Bon appetit, everyone!


Thank you for taking the time to visit. We should definitely do this again sometime. And I'm so glad we had a beautiful day here in New England - just for you!!
Donna

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so lovely. I love collecting mugs too. Just need a hutch to put them in. Someday soon and in the meantime I am still looking and buying mugs.

Willow

Anonymous said...

It's breakfast time as I type this and the birds are all twittering outside my window... sure wish I could reach through this computer screen and snag some of that yummy looking food!

AND, what a lovely porch!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Tracey said...

Donna thank you for your tour and beautiful setting. It is so welcoming and lovely. I love your porch and glad I stopped by for a tour and able to enjoy. Thank you.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Oh what a beautiful porch, yard, and party! The food, especially the spinach recipe, looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

A New England Life said...

Donna,
Everything looks so delicious and delightful! Why didn't you call me? I would have come right over! Hope you enjoyed some of that healthy food after you prepared it all.

It's just like Victoria magazine! Did you know the magazine is back in print?

Sharon

Beverly said...

Oh, everything is stunning. Thank you for inviting me.

Your plants are lovely, and I love all of your planters. I am on the hunt for a bird cage for my front porch.

And, your table is not only beautiful, the food looks wonderful and delicious. And, I just happen to be hungry this morning. ;-)

Michela said...

Hi Donna!
Thank you for sharing with us your treasure!
Your porch looks so peaceful...and your buffet so inviting..!
I won't miss to stop again at your blog...
Greetings from Italy!

Michela
http://littlesecretsfrommygarden.com

Michela said...

Hi Donna!
Thank you for sharing your treasure!
Your porch looks so peaceful..and your buffet so inviting..!!!
I won't miss to stop again at your blog...
Greetings from Italy!

Michela
http://littlesecretsfrommygarden.com

Jan said...

How wonderful!!! Thanks so much for sharing! My kind of setting...for sure!
~Jan :)

Allidink said...

I love your porch! :) What a nice tablescape you set and yummy looking food! Did you see any hummingbirds?

All the best,
Allison

Rue said...

Donna! You cooked!! For me?? ;)

Your deck looks lovely and the flowers are beautiful. No Sammy today though, huh? LOL

You know, I think your blog has the perfect name. I'm always enchanted when I visit you :)

hugs,
rue

Stacey said...

What a beautiful setting. Let me just tell you that lunch looks delicious!

Small House said...

OOOOh, such a beautiful deck/porch.
Love it, and thanks for the snack!
Sandra

Lisa said...

I've so enjoyed seeing all the porches! Your lunch has made me hungry! I'll have to go find something to eat now. hehehe
hugs,Lisa

Brenda Pruitt said...

I love your outdoor areas. And I want you to know I went right over there and printed out that recipe for spinach squares! I love vegetable-based recipes.
Brenda

Claudia said...

Donna, it looks beautiful! Your plants are thriving, your birdcages look wonderful and the food....can I come over?
xoxo
Claudia

Vanessa Greenway said...

I'm glad you took a few minutes to check my blog out Thank you! Your porch looks adorable! :) Vanessa

Poppedijne said...

Lovely porch. The food and dressing of the table look yummy. I am goin to try the spinach recepie too.

Nola said...

It's all so lovely! The lunch looks delish, now I'm starving. Mozarella, tomato and basil salad is a fav of mine.

Life on the Edge said...

Your porch looks great. I really like the vintage table cloth! And the food looks so yummy. I am going to have to try those spinach squares someday.

Kady

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Girl, for a spread like that it's worth the wait! WOW! Not only is the food beautiful but the table and surroundings are, too, Donna.

In a word, FABULOUS! And I'll be right on over!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh, I love your talking white rabbit! So clever! Your porch is lovely. All of your flowers look so pretty, and your table looks charming. Did you put a shear cloth over the Robin's egg blue cloth? I love the way that looks. Your food looks delicious too. I enjoyed your party. laurie

Jean Tuthill said...

The food looks so good! Your porch and back yard are beautiful. I need to get some fuschia plants and try to entice some hummingbirds to my house. I'm not good at keeping up one of those liquid feeders, I don't want to kill any of the little fellas. Your birdcage planter is so pretty and growing nicely.

Marina Capano said...

wow! what a nice pets you have on your sideboard! SO CUTE! I love all!

and you have a nice porch!

Marina from so far away!!

visit me anytime...
besos

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Donna

I know its been ages since I've visited -- it has been a busy spring so far and my computer time is limited.

I've always loved your porch -- you have to decorated so beautiful! I wish I had such a special spot.

That looks like a perfect dinner to be eaten "al fresco"!

Unknown said...

Oh what a lovely Porch and yummy spready!!! I really love your tablecloth too!

I am having a giveaway...so if you feel so inclined..come and join me!

Blessings...Lorena

Anonymous said...

I want to come.... but alas.. i think i'm a couple days late no?

Looks wonderful!!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

"Enchanted" is the perdect word for this patio/deck. I love that you can still see the old tree house, love the adorable birdcage and vintage plant stand. It's all wonderful.
Feel free to join in on my 100th-post giveaway. 2nd post down. : )

The Vintage Rabbit said...

beautiful pictures .....Thanks for sharing,
Smiles,
Joy

Unknown said...

What a nice porch setting! :)