Thursday, February 20, 2014

How to drive your cat crazy...

...without really trying.

I unintentionally drove poor Baby crazy when I bought our heated bird bath last fall. 
(I forgot to do this post back then!)

(These photos were taken last November, before the snows came. Sweet bare ground, I miss you!)
Normally the bird bath isn't a problem...

... but for a short period of time each day, while the sun changes positions, ...

... it reflects off the water in the bird bath, through the dining room window...

... and onto the living room ceiling...

... where this shimmery, out-of-reach object drives poor Baby crazy!

She moves all around the room...

... trying to figure out how to capture her 'prey.'

Poor Baby. 



She starts on top of the wing chair, working out her game plan...



... and then works her way over to the sofa, which is closer to the reflection.

But try as she might, she's never able to 'capture' it.
The reflection eventually fades away and Baby sets her sights on the birds and squirrels at the screen feeder. Until the next day when the sun hits the bird bath and the games begin again!

Joining Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show & Tell Friday this week.

Stay warm and safe, everyone!

Donna

15 comments:

Gayle Ann Berg said...

I really enjoyed this hilarious post with videos of Baby! What an absolutely gorgeous kitty! She sure is mesmerized by the bright reflection on the ceiling. I love how she moves around the room, planning her strategy. Donna, thanks for the laugh! I really needed it with yet another blizzard about to begin.

Also, fun to look at the bare ground and leaves. I miss them!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I am cracking up here at Baby! This is too funny and oh my it is perfect for that Sunlit Sunday party over at My Little Home and Garden! I usually find enough sun or shadows to hook up every few weeks during the winter...this post of yours takes the cake! :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

By the way I ordered cardinal climber seeds this year...I remember you said it did so well last year / can't wait to plant and see how it does ONCE THE SNOW IS ALL GONE! :)

Betty said...

Love the videos of her. She is so cute watching it.

Curtains in My Tree said...

bless her little heart.
I am going to get a heated bird bath for next winter, I would get it now if I can find one I am sure we have more winter left to go

Unknown said...

Baby is such a big beautiful fluffy cat! So inquisitive -- it was nice of you to give her something so pretty to contemplate!

Elaine said...

I see Baby still acts like a kitten. They never fail to amuse me.

Maria (Magia Mia) said...

I'm just smitten by your Baby!

BeachGypsy said...

Baby is a beauty, she really is! Cats are so fun to watch! She has a beautiful coat! I enjoy your blog!

Suz said...

ha ha...what a funny thought the cat following the sun...
Baby is such a well groomed kitty...

Donna said...

She sure is easy to entertain!

Terri said...

Giant laser light!

J said...

I also love the flick of that tail - an indicator that "someone" is "unhappy" about not being in total control!
This is darling! And how kind of you to provide the birds with fresh water. I need to add that to our feeding station too.

Edith DUTERTRE said...

quel superbe chat
très interessé par les ombres
j'ai aimé les vidéos
tendresse
edith

" les chats appartiennent à une
espéce mystérieuse
leur esprit est traversé par beaucoup plus de choses que nous
l'imaginons "
walter scott

bon weekend
edith

Unknown said...

Just found your blog! Charmed!
I adore your book cases and all the wonderful books! Nothing better in a room, in a home.
Beautiful cat. Have you ever visited Susan Branch's blog. She has sweet videos of her kitty.
susanbranch.com