Thursday, February 6, 2014

One Lone Sammy Squirrel...

... braved yesterday's snowstorm...

... to find his way to the screen feeder mounted outside our dining room window.

In yesterday's post I mentioned how I hadn't seen a single Sammy all day long.

Well, I guess this little guy's tummy was growling a bit too much,
because late afternoon he showed up at the feeder....

...  where he knew he'd find a nice meal waiting for him.

I just love these little guys. I know many consider them pests and, yes, 
they can be a wee bit wild and crazy from time to time...

... but just look at those sweet whiskers and those big soulful eyes! They make me melt!

I know that you know that you are welcome here any time, little Sammy. 
I hope spring arrives soon for you and your many friends who grace our little backyard!

(As you can see, Sammy knew he had nothing to fear while I stood about one foot away from him on the other side of the window. I took these photos with my inexpensive point & shoot Canon Power Shot, with the camera pressed right against the window. Apparently Sammy's a lot like Baby - a little ham for the camera!)

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Donna

12 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I came over to see the latest Sammy post, as you said you would have one today. He is adorable...I enjoy mine so much. In the summer one or two of them were tame enough to get within a foot of me, out on the front porch. And they all have ME trained, as I'll see one sitting out on the front porch on a chair, looking in, so I run for the peanuts : ) In the winter they are at the side, mostly, where the bird feeders are. I finally put a big feeder up just for them, hanging it from a trumpet vine against the fence. though one little squirrel still wants to climb the bush up to the little bird feeder.

I was telling some friends in email to check out your blog and look for your chipmunk videos :)

Claudia said...

Brave Sammy! I watched the birds around here today and wondered where they would get food. I am so afraid to put up a feeder as there are so many outdoor cats around here. I wonder if there's a way to attach one to my upstairs bedroom window? And ideas, my friend?

xo
Claudia

Susan said...

Great shots, Donna. Nice job. Thanks for your visit. Susan

J said...

We love squirrels too, and leave peanuts for them to find when they arrive to raid the bird feeder. Your pictures are wonderful!

Suz said...

I'm a big squirrel fan myself
I love watching them leap through the trees My squirrels have mia TOO
WHAT GIVES?

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Oh Donna, how cute is that squirrel? They are precious looking. Your photos are wonderful!
Gina

Donna said...

Great photos!

Regena Fickes said...

I love the little critters, also. I know many have had unpleasant run ins with the squirrel population, but I have had nothing but enjoyment.It warms my heart to see the birds and squirrels feeding in my yard. It also warms me to read your posts on the little ones. Thank you.

Christina Paul said...

Wonderful photos! I never seem to get close ups of wildlife- he is just precious and obviously well fed :)

Unknown said...

Sammy Squirrel is very cute, especially covered in snow and your cats are gorgeous! My friend Debra from the Frugal Little Bungalow sent me over here. I live in sunny southern California and never see snow anymore (yeah!) and almost never see squirrels (booooo) either. Thanks for sharing! ~Kc

Edith DUTERTRE said...

hello
c'est un écureuil ????
en France ils sont plus petit
et de couleur roux
mais tout aussi gourmand
tendresse
edith (iris)

Terri said...

I'm sure your little Sammy was thankful for his snack ;)

My parents enjoyed the beautiful birds and rowdy squirrels in their yard so much. My father mixed up a lot of seed for them.