Monday, August 4, 2008

1950's Boudoir Chair

"They built the tracks before there was a train in existence that could make the trip. They built them because they knew, someday, the train would come..." (Under the Tuscan Sun)
"I bought the chair before the cottage bedroom existed... I bought it because I knew, someday, the cottage bedroom would come... " (Donna)

As you may know from reading my sidebar, I love decorating with vintage items from the 50's... So imagine how my heart went "pitter patter" when I spotted this in a lovely vintage shop several years ago!


The owner told me it was a 1950's boudoir chair... Well, I trotted it right home and put it in our 'boudoir,' knowing that it would be the color inspiration for our 'eventual' cottage bedroom makeover!


The only downside is that it's covered in a vinyl material which, as it has aged, has gotten a bit brittle in the ruffled skirt area, leading to a tiny tear or two...


I use a crocheted doily to hide the fact that one of the buttons on the tufted seat is missing. And aren't these pillows cute? Several years ago I found them in Wal*Mart, of all places!!


This is a closeup of the colors of the chair... creamy white, pink, blue, and green... Right now I'm leaning toward using robin's egg blue as the main accent color when we redo the bedroom.


For the time being, this is the only "cottage/shabby" piece in our otherwise primitive bedroom (which is firmly planted in the mid-80's with one accent wall of dark mauve wallpaper, a very simple heart & vine wallpaper border on the other 3 walls, dark stained furniture, etc., etc.)... It's been screaming for a makeover for quite some time now (can you hear it screaming in the background??)... Believe me, bedroom, after 20+ years, I'm as anxious as you are!!

Donna

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

What a darling chair! It's the perfect feature in your boudoir. ~Adrienne~

Kim's Treasures said...

I see why you love that chair! It is so sweet! You did a great job of hiding it's imperfections! Good luck with the redo!
Have a great Monday!
Kim

Joanne Kennedy said...

Some people get their bedrooms made over in no time flat. I've been working on my room for about three months and still have not finished it. To be honest I don't think my rooms are ever finished though.

Can't wait to see what you do with your room.

Hugs,
Joanne

Jill said...

What an adorable little chair! I'm sure she will look wonderful when you get her redone, even though she is precious as she is!
~Jill

Life on the Edge said...

What a cool chair! My mother had one just like that in her bedroom but in a light solid blue. She eventually threw it out because the vinyl did rip and tear. Oh, how I wish I had it now though! It will be perfect in your shabby chic bedroom! Love your quotes at the top!

Kady

Unknown said...

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! the chair.

~~Liz~~

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

That is a very sweet chair! It has so many possibilities!

Angie said...

i love the shape of it! very feminine! can a chair be sexy? lol!

~Angie

{oc cottage} said...

That chair is completely cute!!!! WOW! And "Squirrel Gulch" I was LOL!!

M ^..^

Virginia said...

Your chair is adorable, is a great addition to any room. Love it!

Cindy said...

Hurry up and get started! I can't wait to see it! I love bedroom makeovers!!!

Anonymous said...

Your chair will incorporate beautifully in your new bedroom. Thanks for the nice comment about my bedroom. You are so sweet!! Remember, just follow your heart and your room will turn out exactly as you want it to.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

That is some chair and the colors are divine! I will be waiting to see the room makeover :0)