Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Office bookcase...

I've spent some time organizing my home office this past week, including the top of my bookcase... Some photos were taken today, some last night (the lighting difference between day and night photos is amazing!)...

The bookcase itself is a $5 junktique find (the shelves are packed with books and 'stuff,' so I'll spare you looking at my stash and just show you the top!)... I fell in love with this etched mirror at Target several years ago, so of course it came home with me; the beautiful beaded "Create" sign hanging on the mirror is from Lori at Katie's Rose Cottage (I love everything in her shop!!)...


This mug, embossed with roses, was made by Amanda in a high school pottery class... she realized too late that the handle was put on upside down but, to me, that makes it all the more charming! I also love the intricate pattern on the tall table lamps, a vintage store find at $15 for the pair, including the shades!!


I have a favorite photo of my mom, along with a pair of white birds (which are actually napkin rings)... I bought the two flower prints from a catalogue (the flowers looked blue in the catalogue). When I received them, they were purple rather than "cottage blue," but I still love them...


I've had this scalloped table runner forever! For the longest time I used it in the dining room, but I really like it on the bookcase... Like so many of you, I'm always moving things around and using them in different places around the house...


Here's a "bird's eye" view so you can see the eye on the lid of the tall blue jar, which I think is so neat!! (Another high school pottery piece made by Amanda)


This is the ceramic Mary I found (from this post), sitting on top of a beautiful hand-painted, repurposed cigar box that Amanda bought for me at a lovely Cape Cod shop. The vanity tray used to be shiny gold, but I thought I'd like it better pink, so I painted over the gold... Ahhhh, so much better :)

Donna

14 comments:

Adrienne said...

Hi Donna Lynn -
Thanks for the tour of your bookcase top. Lots of pretty things. I love the flower prints. Everything is so special. Fun to look at your things.
~Adrienne~

Connie said...

I think that area is just lovely, sweet chickadee! You did a fantastic job; keep it up!
Smoochies,
Connie

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Everything looks charming!

Anonymous said...

Such lovely vignettes. It is so fun to make displays isn't it.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my that is so pretty... love your mirror..... don't you just love Lori... she is such a sweetie.... I sure need to organize....BAD...
Hugs
Linda

Kim's Treasures said...

What a beautiful shelf top! You have a very nice collection of treasures!
Have a wonderful day!
Kim

Cottage Rose said...

Donna; I love your office and the way you decorated your book shelf top. You have such lovely things. The coffee cup your daughter made is priceless. I so cherish each and every one my kids made me in School. Love the lamps too. Love it all.

Have good thursday..

Hugs;
Alaura

Anonymous said...

Evening, Donna! Oh, how pretty the top of your bookshelf looks! I need to do some spiffing in our office! I love all your pretties!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Life on the Edge said...

This is precious! I love that each and every piece has a special meaning for you!

Kady

Anonymous said...

It was all sweet, but I loved the mug. My son make a pair of metal candle sconces in shop in jr. high. He welded the cup/candle holder on one of the scones so it jutted straight forward and not up to hold a candle. The other one was fine. I still smile like a dufus when I look at them.

Anonymous said...

love the bookcase top and love your blog, I just surfed on in here, love doing that and finding something as charming as this

I read back to the canopy/tablecloth posts, that table and the whole room is gorgeous!

Happy blogging


Sarah

Rue said...

Hi Donna :)

You have so many beautiful things, but the mug has to be the most precious.

hugs,
rue

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Donna!
I just love everything on your bookcase! You put things together so well. The mirror is beautiful and I love the pottery piece with the eye on it. I have a couple pieces I made in high school and both of my boys. They are crude but priceless!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs, Sherry

{oc cottage} said...

I love seeing all the details!!!

M ^..^