Thursday, March 31, 2011

The latest addition to my Mary collection...

I have a soft spot for Mary...


...and a great fondness for statues of Mary.




It started with this 1960's ceramic Mary that belonged to my mom, that now hangs in my home.


I then found the most incredible vintage, chippy cement Mary statue for our garden.



There is also my ever-growing collection of vintage Madonna busts and planters.


So needless to say, when I came across this very old, chippy chalkware statue of Mary in a thrift store, I was absolutely smitten.


I'd never seen a piece quite like this before. In addition to Mary, there was an old, chippy chalkware statue of Jesus...


...both of them standing on a base with a Holy Water font, votive candleholder...


...and sweet chippy cherub between them.


It's just the most beautiful old statue and I am so grateful to have been in the right place at the right time to have found it.


And you just know that Miss Social Butterfly was overseeing every photo I took of this statue,...


... peering at me from behind the divider windows!


She never misses a trick,...


... always keeping an eye on what's going on, and this afternoon was no exception!


I'll be posting this over at Cindy's (My Romantic Home) Show & Tell Friday this week. Be sure to pop over and check out what everone else is sharing! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!


(NOTE: I have NO clue what is going on with the layout here! It was fine when I typed it, and it's gone crazy. No matter how many times I edit it, it reverts back to this hodge podge! Hope you can make sens of this post! haha)

Donna

22 comments:

Melissa said...

You have such a beautiful collection!

Barbara said...

Lovely collection! And Baby's face peeking out is so adorable!

Terra said...

I too love Mary, the most beautiful woman who ever lived, in my opinion. When asked the breathtaking question, she said "yes".
I have one cement statue of Mary near her rose in my garden.
I am giving away on my blog one copy of a book today "A Still and Quiet Soul: Embracing Contentment", if you care to visit and leave a comment.

Babs said...

What a beautiful, meaningful collection and I'm sure you have them in a special place in your home where you can see and enjoy them. Have a great weekend.

birdie blue said...

love your vintage saint mary collection. so pretty!

xo
~molly

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Your collection is just marvelous. They are so beautiful - especially the chalkware one. I adore their serene expressions. They always look so at peace.

lvroftiques said...

Ooohhh I love your Mary and Jesus statue!! How shabby perfect! I have a soft spot in my heart for sweet Mary also. Great collection! Vanna

very merry vintage style said...

The one from your mom is beautiful--love the chalkware too. They are so peaceful!
Mary

lvroftiques said...

Well it's actually my second visit to your blog....The second one's the charm *winks* Vanna

Susan said...

Hi Donna...Love your Marys. The chippy garden Mary has a beautiful face. I remember her from last year. Take care, Donna. LOVE seeing that doll Baby. Susan

Inspired by you said...

Love your collection. I've been noticing and buying a couple religious chalkware pieces. I love them chipped and worn.

lynn said...

that surely is the most gorgeous piece i have seen.. i love how it looks lit at night.. wonderful.. :) thanks for sharing with us..
wish our little stores around here had that kind of precious goodies.
big ladybug hugs
lynn

Bohemian said...

I too have a fondness for Religious Art and Spiritual Antiquities so I've been collecting them for years. I LOVE your collection of Statuaries!!! And Miss Social Butterfly's attentiveness made me smile... my old Cat, Rat Boy, often oversees my photography sessions!

Springtime Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Joanne Kennedy said...

I'm so happy you were the one who found them first. I know you will take great care of them and treasure them always.

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

What a great find. I love it when you are in the right place at the right time to get something you really love.

Have a great weekend,
Judy

MeMeSue said...

Your collection is Beautiful and very serene. I love the faces on your new pieces. Blessings!

stefanie said...

wow, what a gorgeous collection, I love the chippy mary garden statue!

michele said...

i share your fondness! so glad to have found you via romantic home. you might appreciate my photography of my vintage rosaries i cherish. come visit.

michele

Elaine said...

Lovely collection. And that photo with Baby in the corner is precious!

*Dream Weaver* said...

I love your collection :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful collection. I too love Mary but so far I have only been able to collect three. But one of them is four feet tall and has glass eyes. She is very special to me.

Our Country Bungalow said...

I love your Sacred Heart of Jesus & Immaculate Heart of Mary statue. With a Holy water font! Lovely.

But I really love your garden statue of Our Lady. That is beautiful! Such a peaceful expression and wonderful coloring. Love it!

God Bless,
Cathy