Friday, April 13, 2012

Vintage Religious Needlework

Our Father Who Art in Heaven...

One day while thrifting for our ETSY shop, my daughter and I came across the most amazing vintage stitchery of The Lord's Prayer.

The prayer, doves, flower basket and border are stitched on a pink satin/silk material that's oh-so-slightly faded and stained around the edges.

The old gold frame is quite chippy, adding to the charm of this piece.

I was so taken with this piece that my daughter bought it for me on the spot and told me it was for my birthday!!

It definitely shows signs of its age which again, in my eyes, adds to the beauty of this piece.

The piece is not signed or dated, so there's no way to know for certain when it was stitched or by whom. I don't know if it was a young girl or an older woman who lovingly stitched this prayer, but it was certainly a labor of love as this is quite a large piece, about 16" x 20."

And since I work from home either transcribing, painting, or managing my ETSY shops, I'm able to enjoy it every single day as it hangs in my office/studio.

I'm linking up to How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday. Have a lovely weekend!

Donna

14 comments:

Elaine said...

What a beautiful piece and a sweet gift from your daughter!

All Things Chic 2 said...

Hi , I just adopted you!!!
Thank-you for your sweet comment...
I'm your newest follower...Love the little plaque of "Our Lady" hanging on your wall...
Blessings Lori

Susan said...

Hi Donna! Oh, LOVED the needpoint art. I would have kept that one, too. SO pretty. Susan

Lui said...

What a lovely inspiring work!

Unknown said...

Hi, to me it looks 50's. I have a half done one which was made to commemorate the birth of princess Anne. It has the outline of the pattern of both the words and the surround for the owner to sew.
it looks lovely.

Ann said...

Someone really loved the project they created and now you can carry that love on by owning it. Thats so beautiful and what a thoughtful gift from your daughter.
Happy Pink Sat
Ann

Anonymous said...

I'm going around visiting everyone on today's PINK SATURDAY list.....with my hot cup of coffee, of course! Just wanted to let you know that I was here! Have yourself a great weekend, and stop by my place if you've the time!

ciao bella
Creative Carmelina
xo

Southern Lady said...

That is just beautiful! Carla

Anonymous said...

HPS, Donna!! I LOVE that stitchery piece, too! What a special gift in so many ways....I know the words bring you comfort, but so do the memories it must stir knowing you and your girl were together when you discovered it!!!

Have a wonderful weekend!! It's going to be a stormy one for our part of the country tonight....tornados. ugh.

L, dana

EllenaElizabeth said...

I just love your embroidered Lord's Prayer find. It's a real vintage beauty. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

What a beautiful piece! I have a weakness for vintage cross stitch pictures. I have several really nice ones that I've hung in a grouping down my staircase. I just hate to think of all the time the crafter put in the work and then they end up in a thrift shop or at a yard sale.

Claudia said...

It needed to be rescued by someone like you, Donna, who appreciates its beauty. Someone lovingly made every stitch - I love that you found it and gave it a home.

xo
Claudia

Lynn B said...

I love this piece, thank you so much for dropping by my blog! I wish you spring very soon! Hugs, Lynn

Granola said...

This piece is the inspiration I've been looking for. My mom just passed away and I'd like to put my hands toward something special this winter in honor of her and her love for the Lord. Thank you for posting this!