Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Bewitching Mrs. B

Mrs. B (1976 - Sept. 1993)

I've received so many kind comments regarding my new fall banner (thank you!!)... Since I was participating in Cielo's "Enchanted Window" blog party this week, I thought it would be fun to use a window scene for my blog banner; and since Halloween is almost upon us, I decided to use one of my favorite photos of my beautiful Mrs. B, taken back in 1992 when she was about 16. (Can you tell we used to decorate big time for Halloween when the girls were younger?)

I got Mrs. B from a pet shelter in 1976. The information card on her cage stated that she would be put down the following day. I asked someone who worked there for more information on her and was told that she was supposed to have been put to sleep the previous week, but that one of the shelter staff asked that they give her one more week because she was so sweet. Apparently they were having a hard time finding her a home because:

1) they had tons of kittens available for adoption, and at about 6 months old, she was well past the "cute kitten" stage... - and -

2) black cats aren't adopted as quickly as other kitties because they are still (superstitiously) thought of as "bad luck" cats...

Well, Mrs. B came home with me that day and she was my faithful companion long before my hubby came on the scene and my girls came along... She was my affectionate, lap-sitting, double-pawed purring machine for 17 wonderful years... She was, and will always be, My Girl...

Update: If you are looking for a cat (including black cats), click on A Place to Bark and Meow - Bernie Berlin has some beautiful kitties up for adoption right now, including about a dozen black cats... And she echoes what I mentioned above, that they are harder to place... Take it from someone (me) who has owned black kitties - they are wonderful!!! As a matter of fact, in Britain and Japan, having a black cat cross your path, is considered good luck!!

Donna

20 comments:

Esther said...

Oooh, I'm such a cat lover. I never used to like them but they have completely won me over. Our first one was a black one called Willy, who was unfortunately hit by a car. (We had moved a few blocks away and he kept slipping out and running away back to his old house.) Now we have two, a ginger tabby called Noo Noo and a tortiseshell called Minni. They all had/have such completely different personalties and quirks. Hmmm, maybe I'll have to do a post on this.

NnN said...

D, you know how much I LOVE this picture! Even though it isn't one of my bubbas! :) Our first cat Jam was black, and I have had a weakness for them ever since...what a graceful creature Mrs. B was!

Amy said...

She's beautiful - such a nice way to honor her memory! We have a black kitty too, named Miss Lilly. The hubby found her, only a few weeks old and abandoned, in a barn he was working in. He brought her home to us 3 years ago-just before Halloween! She's been a treasure ever since!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Wonderful story. I've heard the same thing, black cats are hard to find homes for.
Marnie

Rue said...

She was a beautiful girl.

It's so sad that animals have to live such short lives, but I'm glad that we are able to take care of them while they're here.

(((hugs)))
rue

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

Mrs. B is beautiful, and I suspect she knew that as well!
I used to decorate for Halloween when our boys were little, but now I concentrate more on the AUTUMN aspect.
Thanks for sharing!
:)

Unknown said...

What a sweet story! She certainly was beautiful. I will share my shelter kitty stories some day. They (shelter animals)are the BEST pets! Both of mine were also full grown.

Thanks for sharing!
~Liz~

Cottage Rose said...

Awww such a sweet tribute to your Mrs. B Love the photo of her in your window. It makes for a great header, for fall or Halloween.
Have a great week.

Hugs;
Alaura

Anonymous said...

I love they way your remember your loving fury children... she was indeed a beauty.... I had a black and white cat for 18 years.... oh how I loved that Sylvester..... he was my faithful buddy.
HUgs
Linda

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Donna!
I was a little scared when I saw your spooky banner with Mrs B on it! Just kidding!! Such an adorable photo. You were lucky to have her and she was blessed that she got YOU!
Hugs, Sherry

Life on the Edge said...

What a sweet story of a very special cat! Looks like you too were made for each other. He had a long full life! I bet you miss him til this day!

Kady

debi said...

My heart just broke.

Joanne Kennedy said...

Oh I didn't know that picture was of YOUR cat. It's so cute. I used to have a cat that looked just like her. So everytime I see your banner it makes me smile.

Hey, I have a question for you...do you have trees by you that have acorns? I can't seem to find any anywhere. So if you do I was wondering if you would mind sending me some if I paid you and paid for for shipping.

Hugs,
Joanne

w00ts up said...

16? Wow she looked great for being 16. Some cats like people don't seem to age. There is a black alley cat that comes over to eat every night. I named him Matrix. He's like the ring leader and veteran of all the neighborhood alley cats.

Decor To Adore said...

I had a little black rescue kittie too as a teen. She was so sweet.

CIELO said...

That is such a cute pic.... bewitching, enchanting!

May the morning light feed your heart and guide your life...

cielo

Deb said...

Mrs B is adorable!! How lucky for you both that you found each other.

kari and kijsa said...

What a great picture!! We are so excited to be celebrating our one-year anniversary (and a fun giveaway!) Thank you for being such a wonderful part of the last year!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Mrs. B reminds me of our Bobby boy. We were eating in a fancy restaurant in B.C. while doing a cooking shoot and on the window sill sat this beautiful black and white cat. He was mushing the window right there in front of us. I took some of my filet and placed it in the car with the cat and the rest is history. That was 15 years ago. He is now in our pet cemetery along with our other babies that were such a part of our home life. I dedicated an entree to all of hem if you like to see it.
Thank you for the great photo and sharing.
CC
Claudie from Canada

Unknown said...

I love your black cat. I set out to get a black cat this time, I've been wanting one for 13 yrs. I need a long haired cat because I'm allergic to short haired cats.

Our shelter had 2 and I missed out on both, they got homes very fast. I stil didn't get my black kitty, we adopted a tiger striped Maine Coon mix from a Ferral Cat Colony, she's 5 months old and is coming around and is a real cutie.

Every time I set out to get a black one another one needs me more so I take that one. Your baby was a beautiful kitty.