Monday, November 9, 2009

Coming clean..... the good and the bad

I love windows... I just hate cleaning them!

The Dining Area

(click any photos to enlarge)

Back in the early 90's, our dining area was 'windowless' (just like our current kitchen and bathroom)...


Instead of natural sunlight and a view to the side yard, we had just a solid wall. One of the best improvements we ever made to our little cottage was knocking a hole in the wall to have this little bay window put in.


And after it was installed I got to have fun decorating it with a Battenburg lace valance, prisms, and silverware windchimes.


But man, oh man, can windows get grungy and dirty! I was having a hard time seeing all the beautiful fall colors outside, so a couple of weeks ago I grabbed my Windex, Pledge, and paper towels and went to town...


Unlike all the other windows in our house, the dining room and living room windows tilt in for easy cleaning. (I know... tilt-ins negate my right to complain about cleaning windows!)


Before Photo (the bad): "Hello, shed!!! Are you still out there??? I can barely see you......"


After Photo (the good): "Oh, you are still there! You look so much better through clean windows!" See what I mean about how BAD the 'before' windows were??

The Living Room

October 22, 2009

And remember the living room window I shared with you last week, with the gorgeous yellow maple tree out front?

November 4, 2009

Well, here it is now. All of the brilliant yellow leaves have turned rusty brown and are dropping from the tree at an alarming rate...


Pretty soon, Spotty won't have any falling leaves to watch from his kitty cushion...


But whatever he watches, he'll at least have a sparkling view!! (At least until they get dirty again... but unless we have some incredibly warm weather throughout our New England winter, this is the last window cleaning til spring!!)


Thank you to Cielo at The House in the Roses for hosting Show off your cottage Monday!! Please visit Cielo to see her cottage post and to find a list of others participating in "Show off your Cottage Monday."

Have a wonderful week, everyone!!


Donna

24 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

Oh I hate to do windows too. We have hired a guy to come do our windows every few months for years now. It's so nice to just have him here for about two hours and then be able to see again!

Hugs,
Joanne

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

you got very spacious living room and seems that Spotty too have his own window! super!.. and your shed just lovely!

have a good day!
fitty

Anonymous said...

Oh LOrdy, I just did the same thing to my classroom/office area windows...they were GROSS! Now I keep running my hand over the clean blind and admiring the outside view, lol! Love your blog!

Claudia said...

You are doing better than I! I cleaned all my windows recently...a few days later I looked at them and all I saw was streaks!

That's what frustrates me - I'm afraid I don't do a very good job of cleaning windows!

xo
Claudia

Anonymous said...

Your windows look beautiful.

I hate cleaning windows too. A few years ago we got the kind that comes in too and now it is not too bad to clean them, but it is still not my favorite job.


Willow

Connie said...

In our house in California we had a bay window put in and what a difference it made in our family room, honey!! We loved it. Yours is gorgeous and very "new england".
xoxo,
Connie

*Ulrike* said...

Tilt windows are the best! Unfortunately I do not have any in our home, just the window and a storm window that won't come out! Now with that I have had many bruised knuckles!!!
I love the prisms in your window, does your cat chase the lights as it hits the floor? They can be soo funny.
Have a wonderful day up north!!
Ulrike

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Your window looks so pretty and even more so with Spotty lying on her special pillow!~Patti

Shabby Cowgirl said...

What a beautiful window. Work well done. I love the kitty pillow too. Your living room is oh so pretty. Very nicely put together. Thanks for sharing and happy Monday.

A New England Life said...

Well I would say Spotty enjoys them no matter what, clean or dirty!

I don't mind cleaning windows so much, especially since ours tilt in. It sure makes it easier! I should do a few during the warm weather we're having. Thanks for the reminder!

A New England Life said...

BTW, it looks like you are still holding strong with your weight loss. Good for you Donna!

stefanie said...

what gorgeous windows and better yet, a gorgeous view..thanks for sharing

Kristen said...

Beautiful windows! And if that was my view outside, I don't think I'd ever leave the window♥
I LOVE your shed too :)

Vicki said...

Hello, Donna,
You have such a lovely cottage home! I am with you on cleaning windows! Not a lot of fun. Your windows are so beautiful with your wonderful lace curtains and pretty prisms. I hope you have a fantastic autumn week. Many blessings to you! Vicki

Unknown said...

Love the view, you do a great job.
Hugs
Charo

Ana said...

Hi Donna,
I love Battenburg lace. Your bay window looks great, especially the "After." ;-) Such a pretty view. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful Monday.

Smiles,
♥Ana

GwendolynKay said...

Your living room is so lovely and charming! Love the nice new view from the bay window! ugh.. I don't even like to think about doing windows.
Blessings!
Gwen

Tammy/Yesterday's Cottage said...

Doesn't it feel good to have a big chore done? Just love your beautiful bay - I've always wanted one with a nice long window seat.
I've even decorated it in my mind -ahhhhhh....a girl can dream!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Spotty so looks like my Bonnie! The smartest thing we ever did was hold our breath while the carpenter knocked down two brick walls for doors. But, yes, sooo worth it. I would not have my view! Sparkling windows just make me smile.
Brenda

Carolyn said...

I love your nice clean windows and your cute little shed too!
Carolyn

Patricia said...

What a beautiful home - I love the view of the potting shed. Thanks for stopping by my blog - have a great rest of the week.

Donna said...

Your bay windows are beautiful! I hate to clean windows too. Ours our filthy right now, LOL, but we have to leave SOMETHING for the new home owners to do! hahahaha!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WINDOWS!! YUCK... Mine are sooo dirty but every time I turn around it's raining so what's the point? It's raining right now!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Lisa said...

I loved looking at and out your windows! Your home is lovely!
Thanks for sharing!
Hugs, Lisa