Monday, November 16, 2009

Vintage Cottage Couture...

Just look what I have temporary custody of! And doesn't she look right at home in our little cottage? Her colors match the living room beautifully!

(click any photos to enlarge)

A couple of months ago Amanda and I were junktiquing together, and because I was lagging behind (taking pictures of everything), Amanda spotted her first... this original painted portrait of a beautiful woman and her cat!


This piece is massive, as you can see from the above photo where Amanda is holding the bargain of the century! (I say I have temporary custody because right now Amanda doesn't have room for this painting in her apartment; and as you can see from the top of the TV armoire, I still have temporary custody of the Staffordshire dogs we got for her when she graduated from college!! Maybe she'll forget about the painting and the dogs and I'll get permanent custody by default!)


Anyhow, I call it the bargain of the century because all she paid for this 26"x36" ornately framed original painting was $25!!! Twenty Five Dollars! Can you believe it? When she found it, she asked me to verify the price tag... I was certain she'd missed a zero - but nope - it was $25!


The portrait is just incredibly beautiful!


The woman has such a serene expression on her face.


And any woman who would let a long-haired kitty with claws sit on her lap while wearing this gorgeous (couture?) dress is A-okay in my book!! So I already love her, even though I have no idea who she is (but, oh, how I'd LOVE to know more about her, and about how her beautiful portrait ended up in a junktique shop for $25!)


The back of the portrait is carefully covered with vintage metallic wallpaper....

...and this is the signature that appears in the upper right hand corner of the painting. We can make out '59, and the last name looks like Robertson, but it's more difficult to make out the first name. So if anyone has any information on either the artist or the subject, we'd love to learn more!!!
Now you must go visit the lovely Cielo at The House In The Roses to see her "Show Off Your Cottage Monday" post, and to find a list of all others who are participating this week!!!
Happy Cottage Monday!!!
Donna

19 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

Well Donna, I happen to know the whole story behind that painting.

The lady in the photo was Betty and she was married to a very wealthy man named Ed. She married him for his money only and never really loved him.

She had the painting done as a wedding gift to him because he always said she was more lovely then the art work that hung in the Louvre.

Six years after getting married Betty left Ed for a much younger man who had an even bigger wallet.

Ed was heart broken but did finally remarry. Still his heart always belonged to Betty and the large painting of her hung over the fireplace.

One day the new wife got tired of hearing about how wonderful Betty was and she took the painting down sending it to the "junk" store. She told the employees there that this lady was so ruthless that she belonged amoung all the other "junk" and discarded items.

That is how it found it's way to that wonderful thrift store you two found it at.

OK, not really it's all made up but I think something like that happened don't you? LOL

Hugs,
Joanne

Tracey said...

Beautiful painting.. what detail and color.. great find!! Lucky Girls!

Frugalious Living said...

What a beautiful painting! I never think to natch one up when I see them but then again, I've never seen such a bargain either! The back of the photo looks to me like South.Robertson, 59....maybe a street it was painted on? Not sure I am of any help but congrats on a great find! And isn't possession, 9/10th of the law anyway? LOL.

Happy Week!

Claudia said...

That is beautiful, Donna. The woman's eyebrows remind me of 50's Elizabeth Taylor. She has lovely eyes - and the addition of the kitty makes it so perfect! I've never seen the back of a painting made so lovely with wallpaper - that attention to detail makes it even more lovely!

xoxo
Claudia

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful painting. I would have gotten it too. I agree with Claudia, it looks like Elizbeth Taylor.

Willow

GwendolynKay said...

Beautiful painting of a beautiful woman. I love the soft colors and the frame. How nice that you get to hold onto it for your friend. I love your term "junktiquing" ha! I love it that is a new one to me. Blessings!
Gwen

Teresa said...

Oh how wonderful- and oh the mystery. do let us know if you ever find out. and what a wonderful price- just the frame alone would make that deal great.
Thanks for sharing your find with us.
Happy Day

jeanne said...

Hi Donna,I agree this painting is a steal. How beautiful she looks in your lovely cottage home. I hope you can borrow her from a log time. Smile.

You can Google the artist's name. You might b surprised what you find out. Ask for listed artists with the name on the painting.

Good luck, the painting is very well done.

Hugs, Jeanne

claudie said...

Oh my Joanne really had me there. I thought," what are the odds of knowing where this is from?" too funny.
I haven't been here in a while Donna. Love it all.
I read your story on the beautiful Great Dane dog.
Sweet really really sweet. We sure love to rescue don't we?
Happy weight loss, you must look awesome!
Love Claudie
xoxox

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Wouldn't it be wild if somehow you were related to this beautiful woman in the painting and it just mysteriously found it's way to your home? Stranger things have happened to me.

Shabby Chick said...

I don't normally like portraits but I think that is really bewitching and beautiful!

Mel xxx

Brenda Pruitt said...

Reminds me a bit of a young Liz Taylor. Has the seeming demeanor of royalty. But you can see in her eyes she has humility. A beautiful painting! I buy old photos in the antique malls, feeling so sorry that that is their final lot in life. Really, so sad. They end up in my garden room in places of honor. My way of saying to the relatives that rid themselves of the photos: "So there. I think they're pretty special!"
Brenda

Cottage Rose said...

Hello Donna; Wow Wow what a Great Find... the painting is so Beautiful.. and what a price tag.. have a great week...

Hugs;
Alaura

Elaine said...

I was thinking the woman had a kind of Jackie O quality to her.
Elegant and regal looking.

And of course she has an equally elegant long haired kitty.

Such a gorgeous painting, what a find!

Debra said...

I see I'm not the only one thought of a young Elizabeth Taylor! It's gorgeous, what find!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

A daughter who really takes after her mother - Finding the most beautiful bargains! I'm so impressed. laurie

Jan said...

Oh wow!!! What a treasure!!! You find the best things!!!

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Amanda has great taste like you. It is a beautiful painting. It is so nice that the both of you share your love for vintage.
~Debra Capers of the Vintage Vixens

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

She reminds me of Jackie O too. Regal and of money. I had a wonderful time catching up here. Thanks for taking us on your trips I very much enjoy the pictures and stories.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~