Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Roasted vegetables...

...the perfect wintertime comfort food and, luckily for me, my family agrees!

Sometimes I serve them with a side of meat and potatoes, and sometimes they're spooned over angel hair pasta, but however they're served, they are oh-so-good!!


I like to use a wide variety of vegetables... My favorites are green and red peppers, mushrooms (baby bella and white), onions, zuchini, yellow squash, plum tomatoes, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and baby (new) potatoes...


All of the vegetables get washed and cut up (a recent post by Tracey, Notes from a Cottage Industry, encouraged me to revisit the dreaded brussel sprouts of my childhood - and they are actually very good when roasted!!) ...


.. but I leave the baby/new potatoes whole because they're so small...


Everything gets tossed with a bit of olive oil and spices ....


...and then spread evenly on cookie sheets (I usually make 3 cookie sheets at a time because I like lots of leftovers for meals during the week)... Easy breezy - off they go into a 400 degree oven for 1 hour and...
...voila!!!! Yummy in the tummy!!!
Donna

9 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

Nothing like some fresh roasted veggies! They are so good. Growing up we never had them like that. My mom wasn't the best cook. She would just boil the heck out of all the veggies. We had mush for veggies. LOL

Hugs,
Joanne

The Old Parsonage said...

Mmm... Donna I could eat those now, and I haven't even had my first cup of coffee yet:)

Yummy - love brussel sprouts!

Leann

Anonymous said...

Nothing tastes better than roasted veggies any time of the year, but on a rainy day like today they look extra yummy!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Diva Kreszl said...

I agree...yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
It was so good to hear from you. I have added you to my sidebar. I wanted to tell you that I love the painting you and your daughter found, what a STEAL!! I hope you get permanent custody of it because I think it's perfect for your cottage. Check out my plantation lady painting I picked up at Homegoods for my art wall.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Brenda Pruitt said...

This looks yummy delicious! I love vegetables. And I also love your idea of making more for the rest of the week. Less cooking!
Brenda

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Looks so yummy! I would have never thought to use brussel sprouts. I going to try this for sure.
~Debra blog: the capers of the vintage vixens

Old Time Cindy said...

We also love roasted veggies. We don't eat meat so this is so perfect and so easy for us as part of our evening meal.
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Deb said...

I do this too - it's a vegetarian staple :-) I also toss in whole cloves of garlic if I have them and spread those on crusty bread to have with the veg!