Friday, November 20, 2009

Pre-decorating (otherwise known as the cleanup)...

A good part of today was spent cleaning the living room. Not just straightening up, but really cleaning in preparation for the Christmas decorations that will be coming up soon. As you may have noticed, our living room is teeny tiny, so the fact that the cleanup took so much time should give you a good idea as to how many dust bunnies were living in, around, and under furniture!


I changed the throw on the wing chair to a simple white king sized bedskirt, with a vintage "pink rosebud" pillowcase covering the seat cushion.


Last week when I showed you the "bargain of the century" painting, a lightweight blue floral spread was covering the wing chair and blue & white pillowcases were covering the brick hearth. They were all waaaaaaaaaay overdue for a trip through the washer.


Now that the wing chair was covered with clean, fresh linens it was time to decide what to do with the hearth. I thought this vintage sheet looked like a good choice for the holidays... a nice cottage green...


... with white polka dots, pink rosebuds and a scalloped design on one end.

When we closed in our brick fireplace a couple of years ago and painted it white, the pillowcases and/or sheets that we layed across the hearth were meant to be a temporary fix (until we decided how to finish off that area), but I've come to really like them. It's fun being able to change colors and patterns, so as far as I'm concerned, the hearth is officially done!


And I know I've mentioned this little guy before... doesn't he look like a little imp? I bought him as a Christmas decoration at TJ Maxx many years ago, but I really like him so he stays out year-round. I think he looks like he's playing Rock, Paper Scissors with someone. (I suspect he was meant to be holding something, but that during assembly that certain 'something' was omitted by mistake!)


Okay, I'm pooped after all this cleaning so I think I'm going to sit down and rest a while before starting supper... I wonder if there are any roasted vegetables left....

Donna

10 comments:

Esther said...

So pretty and soothing.
The last few years I've dreaded putting up the decorations because I feel my house is so messy and cluttered already, it makes things worse adding to it.
This year I'm going to try and lose the attitude and look at it through my kids eyes. They were horrified that I wanted a pretty, shabby tree with no tinsel or dodgy baubles. They really put on a turn about it. I didn't realise that Christmas is already so full of traditions for them that can't be changed.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I love the cleaning before the decorating. It all looks so new and big...It's amazing how cleaning seems to make things look bigger. We have a very tiny living room also.

Claudia said...

Good morning, Donna! You have indeed been busy. I always think the house is fairly clean and then when I start to REALLY clean, I discover all sorts of dust bunnies, too!

I love the cover on your wing chair - so pretty for Christmas. But I am in awe of what you did with the hearth! What a clever solution! It seems like a temporary solution turned into a perfect decorating idea. Love that you can change out the fabric when you want to. Inspired, my friend!

Have a wonderful day. I do so love reading your posts and seeing your pretty home.

xoxo
Claudia

"Blossom" said...

I start decorating and then clean; I guess I don't want to clean and they reclean the same room. But it looks like is works great for you. Love the idea with the wing chair throw over.

Julie Marie said...

Hi Donna, I can't wait to see all of your decorations! I know what you mean about being "pooped" too! I am "pooped" from just carrying my boxes of ornaments upstairs! Happy decorating! xoxo Julie Marie

Connie said...

Girl, you make them room seem large with all the sweet things you do to it. Our living room is small also. Coming from 5,000 s.f. down to 1800 s.f. was definitely a challenge but I love it now, sugar! But the hearth???? Do you just lay the fabric down on it? I thought it was tile until I read on. Marvelous and creative idea, sweet chick! Beautiful!
xoxo,
Connie

Brenda Pruitt said...

Look at it this way: a teeny tiny space takes much less time to clean! And in my book, tiny means cozy. Well, as I write this comment I hear the rain starting to pound on the skylight. So I guess I'll be spending my day in my little garden room. Trying to decide where to start on "the trellis tree." Have a lovely weekend. Your regal lady (who slightly resembles Liz Taylor) looks very honored in her new spot.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Where do all those dust bunnies come from?? I wish I could evict them permanently...LOL!! I am doing the same thing over this way...trying to wait until next weekend but I don't know if I can.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

stefanie said...

what a sweet, cozy room, can't wait to see how you decorate it for christmas

Deb said...

Such a pretty room. Love that angel ~ I would keep him out year round too ♥ Have a great weekend Donna.