Thursday, February 19, 2009

Guilt free cake! Use diet soda in place of oil and eggs....

Doesn't this look good??? And it's only 3 Weight Watchers points!


I joined Weight Watchers several weeks ago. What I love about WW is that nothing is restricted as long as you count it (and you still need to follow healthy eating guidelines!)


(Ingredients... I used a Reduced Sugar mix this time, but any boxed cake mix will do)
About seven years ago I had great success with Weight Watchers. And then I got lazy - lazy about going to meetings, lazy about tracking points, lazy about exercising... just plain lazy! Needless to say, when you stop being accountable for what goes into your mouth and you stop moving, the weight comes right back on, and I was no exception...


Pour 1 can diet soda of your choice into cake mix (no eggs or oil - JUST the diet soda!). I use dark soda for chocolate cake mixes, light soda for yellow/white cake mixes.
So when Joanne at My Little Cottage in the Making blogged about starting an on-line support group called "A Better Me," I was thrilled! I really look forward to her Wednesday "Better Me" posts... (Of course I look forward to all of Joanne's blogposts!!


(Mix according to directions on box)
I'd encourage any of you who are interested in the topic of diet and/or exercise to visit Joanne's blog and tell her you'd like to join in. It's a very relaxed atmosphere. You can e-mail Joanne your weight loss (or gain) for each week (but that's optional, not mandatory), and sometimes she posts the group loss for that week.


Pour into a pan that has been sprayed with Pam (or something similar)
I hope this is the last time I have to fight the battle of the bulge. I was pretty disgusted with myself when I gained back all the weight that I'd originally lost on Weight Watchers, but I reminded myself that I didn't quit smoking the first time(s) I tried either (although in July of 1994 I finally did quit for good!)


(Bake according to instructions on box . From personal experience, I've found I usually have to put the cake in for an additional 5 minutes, as my toothpicks don't come out clean when I first test the cake)... Let cool before cutting.
To keep myself on track, I have become very aware of what I put into my mouth.. not just the types of food, but also the portion sizes. I've also started listing my weekly weight change (hopefully mostly losses) in my sidebar as a bit of an incentive to keep myself going. Since I see it every time I open my blog, it's a good reminder.


Cut cake into 12 serving sized pieces (3 points per piece). Add a dollop of Cool Whip Free (0 points, although I must admit that looks like an awfully LARGE dollop in the photo!!)...
Enjoy!!!
And good luck to everyone on their own quest to become "A Better Me"...
Comment Response: MC, you bring up a very valid point. MC pointed out that it is unhealthy to be putting all these artificial ingredients into one's body, and she is right. My intent in sharing this recipe definitely was not to encourage anyone to start drinking/using diet soda (I am assuming that is the artificial ingredient that she is referring to)... Unfortunately, I do drink diet soda, and although it's something I'd like to cut back on, the fact is I still do drink them. Therefore, putting it into the cake mix (for me) is no different than opening up a can of soda to drink. This was a recipe I had from years ago when I originally joined Weight Watchers (this is not an official Weight Watchers recipe - it's just a recipe that someone in the group shared) and I'm afraid I didn't give much thought to how "healthy" it was before I posted it (which I will do in the future!). And MC, please don't feel you had to post anonymously. I have no problem with the concern you raised. It's a valid point.

Donna

23 comments:

Pink Slippers said...

Diet Soda? Wow.
I like what Dr. Laura says---
Eat less, Move more.
Wendy

Simplicity Cottage said...

That cake looks delicious! I'm putting the low sugar cake mix on my grocery list...already have diet drinks. I'm going to make the cake this weekend.

By the way...Congrats on quitting smoking. I have never smoked but my mom died from lung cancer. Both of my sisters smoke and I worry about them daily.

Hugs~Donna

Joanne Kennedy said...

Oh I'm going to try this out for sure! I've never heard of making the cake this way. I think I will try white cake and then top with fresh strawberries and some fat free cool whip! YUM!

You are doing so good on your plan! I have to say you are a big inspiration to me and others!

Also I wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU for quitting smoking. You added years to your life by doing that.

Hugs,
Joanne

tam said...

Hello Donna! That is the coolest tip ever! Thanks for sharing that I have never heard that one before!!! Good luck with your plan-I know you can do it! I have been working out for years now. But last May I got really serious about it and have stuck to it. I work out four to five days a week and watch what I eat. It is finally paying off-it took a while. I dont do it just for my figure but also for my heart and I like feeling more energenic too. Being perimenopausal with a bad thyroid it can be discouraging. but I decided I was going to fight back-it is working I am winning-YaY! Thank you for sharing your journey! Hope you are having a wonderful week~Tam :D

Shabby Chick said...

Not heard of that one before! Though I'd guess the hardest part is not eating the whole cake (...if you're me anyway!). I lost 70Lbs a few years back with WW, I think they're great. I put it all back on and then some when I had my daughters but I'm back on the wagon now! Good luck :)

Mel xxx

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Oh Donna, this is AWESOME!! I'm so excited! Cake that's legal and only 3 pts! This is incredible!!

Thanks! Big hugs, sherry

Jean Tuthill said...

That cake looks really yummy. I love the idea of a cake mix and use them all the time. I just add some other ingredients to them and they make wonderful cakes. Good for you on your weight loss, it takes time, so you have to be patient. Lots of exercise helps a lot. Love the pictures of Sammy, too.

Roses and Lilacs said...

What a great post. That's something I'd never heard before. I use applesauce and egg beaters to eliminate fat. I will try it this weekend. Thankyou.
Marnie

Anonymous said...

This is so unhealthy, in so many ways. All the fake ingredients aren't good for you, so why put them in your body?
MC

ShabbyInTheCity said...

That looks so fine!!!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I think the diet soda is a great idea! I'm going to be trying this. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with WW. laurie

Brenda said...

The cake looks great.You can also replace your oil with applesauce and the eggs with egg beaters or egg whites.
I am also a WW slacker I have been trying for over a month to loose weight with no luck.Maybe I need to start back going to meetings.
Brenda

TidyMom said...

I've made these cakes before - they may not be "healthy" - but when you're trying to watch your calories, it is a nice treat!!

I have a great low cal Magic "pie" recipe that I'm going to post in the next few days you might enjoy as well!!

Thanks for reminding me of this great "treat"

~TidyMom

Tracy said...

Who would have thought that would work? Sounds like a good idea to try. Thanks for the tip.

Life on the Edge said...

What a great idea! I would love to make this as a treat that I can have every now and then.

Yes, it may not be totally healthy, but if I can reduce the sugar and the fat in something and have a treat every now and then, it helps me stay on track with my diet and eat everything else healthy!

I can feel my mouth watering already! Thanks for the tip about the lower sugar cake mix. I didn't know they made such a thing! I'll look for it locally.

Kady

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Well, who knew??? Thanks so much for sharing this. It looks delicious! You go girl. : )

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

wow Donna! I never knew you could use diet soda in place of those things!! what a fabulous idea! I HAVE to try that! perfect timing too, I need to lost the winter weight! Thanks!

Hugs, Cynthia

American Homemaker said...

I think the cake should be even less calories since it's on such a pretty plate :)

And I don't do the diet soda thing, but I've made cakes with regular soda and they're sooo yummy! Root beer in a white cake is my fave and often gets requests for the recipe for the "spice cake" lol

Nola said...

I, too, am a backsliding lifetime WW member. I love that idea! I had no idea you could do that! Someone out there is a genius to think up all those great ideas!

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Oh wow - this sounds like something I could totally do - simple ingredients! :) Since whenever I do drink soda it is of the diet kind anyway! Thanks for sharing! ~ Laurie

Designs on 47th Street said...

Very interesting! That is a great hint and looks like a really good cake.

Thanks!

Donna

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

oops...I forgot to answer your question about my little reading chair. A long time ago I bought that little chair at a Thrift Store for $18.00. However, it was covered in a hideous gold herculon. I paid someone to re-cover it for $129. So the chair was not a steal, but I absolutely love the heart shaped back and the size of it. : )

A New England Life said...

Morning Donna,

I love your new header. I can imagine it holds a very special place in your heart : )

Interesting recipe! I've never heard of using soda before. The cake looks yummy!

I have to say, I used to love Mtn. Dew, everyday. Had to have it, couldn't live without it. When we started looking at ways to cut back on our spending I decided it was time to let it go. Now I drink water all day long. Of course I still have coffee in the morning, but mostly it's water. My husband and teenage girls drink water all day long also. Maybe one day you'll make that switch too. It really is so much better for you then nasty soda.

Sounds like you are doing well on your weight loss journey! Good for you! Spring is coming and I think that always gives our bodies motivation and a boost : )

Sharon