Saturday, June 14, 2014

You're a Grand Old Flag...

Happy Flag Day, everyone!

I'm sharing some of my favorite photos (taken in our yard, on the Cape, and at my mom & dad's grave), as well as some Old Glory quotations in honor of the day.

"If anyone, then, asks me the meaning of our flag, I say to him - it means just what Concord and Lexington meant; what Bunker Hill meant; which was, in short, the rising up of a valiant young people against an old tyranny to establish the most momentous doctrine that the world had ever known - the right of men to their own selves and to their liberties." 
(Henry Ward Beecher)

"Show the flag and let it wave, As a symbol of the brave;
Let it float upon the breeze, As a sign for each who sees
That beneath it, where it rides, Loyalty today abides.
Show the flag and signify, That it wasn't born to die;
Let its colors speak for you, That you still are standing true,
True in sight of God and man, To the work that flag began."
(Edgar Guest)

"Oh, it's home again and home again, America for me!
I want a ship that's westward bound to plough the rolling sea
To the blessed land of Room Enough beyond the ocean bars,
Where the air is full of sunlight and the flag is full of stars."
(Henry Van Dyke)

"We have room in this country for but one flag, the Stars and Stripes. 
We have room for but one loyalty, loyalty to the United States."
(Theodore Roosevelt.)

"I name thee Old Glory."
(Captain William Driver)

Wishing you all a beautiful week!

This week I'm joining Brenda at Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday
and Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show & Tell Friday.

Donna

8 comments:

Betty said...

Happy Flag day to you too. Ours is always up.

Donna said...

Oh, these are grand!

NanaDiana said...

Donna- What a wonderful tribute to the flag and what it means to us----or should mean to us. We are so blessed to live in this country where we can fly the flag freely and worship when and as we please.

Happy Flag Day and Happy Father's Day/Sunday to you- xo Diana

...Madame May... said...

Lovely...Perfect way to honour you country
A bit of trivia from Down Under.
In some suburbs, it is an offence to fly the Australian flag...Yes indeedy, you can be fined

...:)...
blessings

Unknown said...

Those are wonderful pictures and I think I am enjoying them more today than I would normally. We have some dear friends who were just granted citizenship and I am planning a small celebration on Sunday. Works out perfect that the Dollar Store and everywhere have 4th of July decorations on sale. I will just keep them up until the holiday.

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Such inspiring photos, and a wonderful tribute to our country and the flag!

Ellen Hite said...

Long may she wave!

Elaine said...

I love it when I see a house with a flag displayed on it or in the garden. It shows pride in this country. We are so lucky to live in such a historic section of the country!