Wednesday, December 2, 2009

In the arms of the angels...

The bay window is decorated much the same as it has been for the past several years...

(click any photos to enlarge)

...with the silver tinsel tree in the window surrounded by vintage angels...


As many of you know, this window was Spotty's favorite place...

... to relax while watching the changing seasons (as well as the squirrels, chipmunks & neighborhood cats that would happen by on a regular basis!)...

So this window is a constant reminder of our sweet boy and after losing him so recently, I wasn't ready to take his kitty cushion out of the window. Instead, I opted to decorate around it...


... so now a choir of angels watch over his favorite spot. I love this photo with the sun streaming in. It has an almost heavenly glow to it...

You can actually see the angels better in this photo... Tinsel angels and feather angels... I love them. Did you know that items from the 1950's are now called mid-century? That makes me mid-century!


There are more angels on the other side of the window, also decked out in pink gowns, netting, and white feathers. A pair of vintage reindeer keep them company...


On the apothecary chest in front of the window I've arranged bottle brush trees among our pets' urns, so the window area truly is a tribute to all those sweet fur babies who gave us so much love and joy throughout their years here on earth. And since they all loved the Christmas season (I think they associated it with the treats Santa would bring!!), I thought they'd enjoy being out here among all of the decorations and lights. This is our sweet Malley's urn. We lost him in September of 2007...


Next to him, in the little blue cottonball-holder-turned-urn is Mr. B, my sweet all black kitty who we lost 3 months later in December of 2007.


And then there's our precious Ms. Giz, the little one-eyed terrier who ruled our little cottage from the day she arrived. We lost her three months after Mr. B, in March of 2008.


So this window area is a tribute to all of them. As some of you may be aware from past posts, I've captured a few orbs in photos lately and now I've captured another. After arranging the urns in front of Spotty's window, I stepped back to take a photo (and as I've mentioned before, I always take 2 or 3 since I've started blogging, just to make sure I get at least one good shot)... So this is the first photo of the window area...


...and this is the next. Do you notice anything in front of the bottom right drawer? (You can click the photo to enlarge it if you'd like.) Now when I was setting the urns in place, I accidentally knocked Gizzy's little urn onto the floor (luckily the ashes are all tightly sealed in plastic inside the urn!).... Anyhow, I told Gizzy I was sorry! and then placed her back on the chest and took my photos... Back in October I did a post titled, "Orbs... Dust or Loved Ones?" I believe I know the answer...
When I saw the orb in this photo I just knew that I'd captured one of our sweet fur babies... Maybe Spotty who we just lost, and who loved this window, was giving me his nod of approval? Or maybe Gizzy, who I'd just dropped and apologized to, was letting me know she was okay? I don't know, but I just get warm fuzzies when I look at this photo...

So that's the story behind the Christmas window this year... I really do believe all of our fur babies are looking down on us from the arms of the angels and that, on occasion, they do come back to pay us visits because, after all, love is an unbreakable bond...
I'll be sharing lots more "Christmas" with you in my upcoming posts!
Donna

21 comments:

Julie Marie said...

Oh Donna, I am crying my eyes out... what a beautiful post about your precious little loved ones... I am certain that is Spotty, not wanting you to be sad, and just checking on you... their unconditional love for us never leaves, and they are always nearby... anyone who does not believe this, I feel very sorry for...So much love to you and your precious little ones... Bisous... Julie Marie

Claudia said...

Okay, I'm crying. What a beautiful post, Donna. It is a wonderful tribute to Spotty - who loved the window so - and to all your dear fur babies. It is so nice that they are together in that special area.

Then the orb appeared and I was a goner. I know it was one of your babies. They are with you always because you're right - love never dies.

xoxo
Claudia

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

You are just the sweetest woman. So full of love for your furkids. I will bet that that orb was Spotty just checking in to see you. Don't move his bed until you are absolutely ready. Take care.
~Debra
The capers of the vintage vixens

Joanne Kennedy said...

Well what started out as a post that had me teary eyed ended up making me smile.

You know I had my cat for 21 years and had to put her to sleep. But, there are times I often swear I see her walking towards me out of the corner of my eye or I'll feel her as I lay in bed at night. She would always sleep in the same spot next to me.

So yes, I do believe that our dear fur babies come to visit us. How sweet they saw you fixed the area for them in such a lovely way.

Hugs,
Joanne

Connie said...

You have snow, chickee?!?!?! I'm jealous for sure. Nothing here in the Idaho desert yet...
xoxo,
Connie

momstheword said...

What a sweet tribute to your pets.

Isn't it amazing how much love and joy a pet gives? No wonder we miss them so much after they're gone.

~ Nan

J.G. said...

Oh, how sorry I am for your losing your dear Spotty. His gentle, dignified personality comes through in all your pictures of him. It's clear he had a happy, happy life with you.

Lady Prism said...

I'm sure they can see that, what you've done with all your heart. It's so touching and beautiful.

Your blog and home is so inspiring. I live halfway around the world, yet feel that part of me now dwells in your enchanting space.

GwendolynKay said...

Sorry about your loss of your dear kitty. The angels are lovely. Blessings.
Gwen

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

What a touching post and a wonderful tribute to Spotty. My heart hurts for your loss....

Lou Cinda :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

What a touching post and a wonderful tribute to Spotty. My heart hurts for your loss....

Lou Cinda :)

Anonymous said...

So sweet. I do believe they come back to say goodbye and all is well. Love, love your home. Love all the whites. I'm going to go back now and drool some more over your blog. Rosie

Wendy said...

Donna, what a beautiful, touching tribute to Spotty and all your other loved ones. Keep that cushion there for a good long while. You will be certainly visited by Spotty and he will want to see it there! I often see, out of the corner of my eye, a dark shadow on the ground where my dear Sox (a beautiful long-haired black cat who lived to 19!) used to love to sleep. Your love will be returned tenfold!

Lisa said...

If I can stop crying long enough to type I just have to say you are an amazing soul! Lovely tribute to your friends who I know still surround you with love. It is comforting to know I am not the only one who can begin to remove the cozy bed from its rightful place.

NnN said...

Such a sweet post....and your furbabies are surely with you! :)
Have a good Christmas Season, Donna.

Frugalious Living said...

I am so sorry for your loss of Spotty. It is never easy to say goodbye to a family member. I truly believe though, that they are simply gone from sight but that love keeps them with us. Merry Christmas Donna.

Tammy/Yesterday's Cottage said...

Oh my. I'm all choked up, but smiling thru tears. Yes indeed, they are still with you and not only in your heart. How wonderful and comforting. Peace be with you and yours this holiday season!
P.S. Your "Christmas cottage" is just beautiful - love your seasonal blog header too!
Love,
Tammy

Donna said...

Oh dear! I am so behind on reading blogs because of all our moving hub-bub, and just now realizing that your lost your furbaby recently! I am so, so sorry! What a wonderful tribute to them.

We balled our eyes out a couple of weeks ago, two days before we closed on our country cottage. We scattered some of the ashes of our Buddy pooch (died 2-1/2 years ago) in the front flowerbed of the home we were leaving. It was the only home he knew, and he was our protector. We'll be scattering more of his ashes at our new home that we are building.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Donna, I can barely see through my tears. I'm behind on reading posts. Been so busy I feel like I'm running in place. I see one of your sweet babies in that orb in the photo. They're coming back to tell you how special you are, and that the love you gave them was true motherly love and undying devotion. I don't how you could bear losing that many in so short a time. In Sept. 2002 I lost one Boston Terrier. In January 2003 I lost his brother, and I thought it was going to kill me for sure. Then poor Pepper in 2006, just six weeks before I held my best girlfriend as she took her dying breaths. Oh Donna, we love them all so! Losing is part of love, unfortunately. But as the saying goes, better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
xoxo, Brenda

Anonymous said...

I love your window area, Donna! So sweet that you kept Spotty's bed there! ☺ ♥

Mid century, eh? As my mother and Charlie Brown would have said, "Good Grief!"

Unknown said...

Oh Donna of course that orb is one of your fur babies! I believe that our loved ones (with fur and without) come back to visit from time to time. Maybe your Spotty as he loved that window so much. Ok I need tissues...