Thursday, December 10, 2009

The decked-out dining room....

Okay, calling this a dining room is stretching things a bit since it's actually just a small eating area connected to the kitchen and living room (most split entry 'cottages' don't have real dining rooms)...

(click any photos to enlarge)

I stood on my tippy toes and held the camera up high to give you a bit of a bird's eye view of the room... Oh, let me move those two chairs so you can see the tablecloth I'm using this Christmas...

Well that was a mistake! It would have been nice if I'd ironed it before putting it on the table!! (Irons and I don't really care too much for each other)...


This view was taken from the living room. The windows above the half-wall are strictly decorative, overlooking the family room off the back of the house.


And this view is looking toward the living room (I'll share the hutch and fireplace photos in my next few posts).


These photos were taken last week. If I took them today you'd see a blanket of snow outside! Not too much changes in this window from year to year... The animated doll from the 80's and the little white Christmas tree are always placed there. (The animated doll used to be dressed in red plaid but I gave her a shabby cottage makeover several years ago.)


The Christmas cactus is blooming beautifully! One new thing I did add to this area is the "ice crystal" wreath that I got on clearance last year. It definitely adds some sparkle and reflection to the window.


The silver glitter bird didn't come with the wreath, but I thought he looked right at home nesting in it.


My bird collection grew too big for this tree, so now it's just decorated with small pink and aqua bell ornaments. I'll show you in an upcoming post where the bird ornaments ended up!


You might remember the pink sugarplum reindeer who gave up their "reindeer barn" (a.k.a vintage birdcage) to my Christmas sheep this year... They're happily grazing by a tall (bottlebrush) pine tree on the jelly cupboard these days...

... where they're being kept company by a couple of the Wal Mart glitter birds I showed you a few weeks ago...


The mini birdcage on top of the mirrored cupboard also got decorated for the holidays with a chippy vintage angel. Pete and Re-Pete (two of my many parakeets) approve.


A small white manger sits on top of our little recycling center in the dining room....


... while stars & snowflakes sparkle, and reindeer prance across the windowpanes.
And speaking of reindeer, I just love these deer that I got at Target years ago, with their scrolly antlers just dripping with prisms... They guard the Christmas tree centerpiece every year (although from what, I don't know!!)

Here's a good closeup of the vintage morning glory tablecloth I'm using this year. The tablecloths are about the only thing that gets changed from year to year in this room. (You can see the past 5 years' tables in this post.


Another thing I did differently this year was decorating the chandelier. I attached my dollar tinsel wreaths (such a deal!) and then hung a few of the sparkle birds along with some glittery white stars I had on hand....


It really does give a festive look to this little room!
I still have so much to share with you... more of the living room... the fireplace, the hutch, my new bird tree, the winter village set up on the TV and, of course, my collection of Night Before Christmas books, so if any of that interests you, pop in again from time to time!
Now be sure to visit Rhoda at Southern Hospitality and see her elegant home all decked out for the holidays!! You'll also find a list of many, many bloggers sharing their Home for the Holidays decorations!!! Have fun touring!
Donna

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful winter wonderland you have created Donna.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Love the Decor! said...

Beautiful!!
what a lovely decorating scheme!!

Julie Marie said...

Oooh Donna, everything is soo beautiful! I love all of the touches of Nature everywhere! You have created such a beautiful winter wonderland... it truly does look so enchanting! Bisous.. Julie Marie

stefanie said...

I love your home, its enchanting, just gorgeous!!!! can't wait to see more!!!

Connie said...

Beeeeeeautiful, sugar! Lovin' the white.
xoxo,
Connie

Claudia said...

Donna, you have the touch, my friend! Everything is so lovely - like a winter fantasy! I love it all - the pink reindeer, the birds, the birdcage,the chandelier, your little white tree...I could go on and on! Your family will just love coming together this Christmas!

I am on the lookout for a little white or pink tree. I won a giveaway that has a beautiful handmade pink treeskirt for a smaller tree...and I just have to get a tree to go with it!

xoxo
Claudia

Anonymous said...

Everything is so gorgeous. I love white and glitter and sparkles. Your display is awesome. Rosie

nannykim/spindlecottage said...

Very pretty--love all the sparkle! Love the deer too. And a nice tablecloth!

Donna said...

It looks like a cottage winter wonderland! Magical! That's me knocking on your door, wanting to visit! (Oh, and I like cookies too.) hahaha!!!!!!

Kelee Katillac said...

Love the blue tablecloth and deer!

Your white cabinets are so pretty!

Happy Holidays!!

love, kelee

Stop by!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

How sparkly and bright! Everything looks gorgeous at your house!~Patti

Elaine said...

I love all the white in your home. And that vintage table cloth is to die for!

I am decorating my ceiling fan with chandelier parts. Hoping to sort of resemble a real chandelier. Wish me luck! Your light looks great!

La Petite Gallery said...

This is my second time here I think.The name "Enchanted Cottage"reminds me of a most beautiful Movie made about 1930. It had Dorthy Mc Guire and Herbert Marshall.
Very heart warming story about
the Enchanted Cottage,
You have a great post,
Yvonne

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Everything looks so beautiful and cozy. I just love your cottage.
Ginger

Anonymous said...

SO sweet!! LOVE IT ALL! Rosie

Rue said...

Oh Donna... your home is always so beautiful, but at Christmastime it takes on such a wonderful glow. I love that new sparkly wreath :)

(((hugs)))
rue

Brenda Pruitt said...

This is just gorgeous! So inviting and cozy. I wish I'd gotten that far, or inspired. I really like your dining room. It's just perfect. My dining room is sort of where I'm "focusing" this year. It is the room we had the two brick walls replaced with French doors this time last year. Only problem is: there's hardly any wall space. And it's about ten by ten in there. But oh, I adore the view! I'll be back regularly to see more!
Brenda

cathleen said...

Donna, your decorating is exquisite.