Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The sugar village and A Christmas Carol

My little sugar village is set up on the family room TV.


Did anyone else watch Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol when they were growing up? This 1962 classic is my sister's favorite version of A Christmas Carol, and several years ago she gave me my own copy! (My favorite part is when they all sing The Lord's Bright Blessings - I love that song!) I actually have two favorite versions of A Christmas Carol - the 1938 version starring Reginald Owen as Scrooge and Gene Lockhart as Bob Cratchit, and the 1992 Muppet version starring Michael Caine as Scrooge (wonderful memories of watching that one with the girls when they were little, not to mention I love Michael Caine!)...


Back to the sugar village... The sugar houses were bought at TJ Maxx and Marshalls several years ago...


They were very reasonably priced and, with their little bottlebrush trees and wreaths, they had a vintage look to them. The reindeer and sleigh actually are vintage.
They definitely show their age, more yellow than white...
...and they're no longer glued to their cardboard base.


But I think they look right at home in the sugar village.

The houses and churches in the village are all white, but the roofs are pink, green, and blue, all heavily dusted with snow.


Several of my vintage angels appear throughout the village, some on the ground, some on rooftops.


I almost passed on these houses and churches several years back because, (to borrow one of my mom's favorite sayings) I needed more Christmas decorations like I needed a hole in the head. But I thought they were so pretty that I ended up collecting several different houses and churches over a two year period.


The little table in the corner of the family room is also set up with a church that I've had for years (much smaller than the sugar churches on the TV), some bottlebrush trees, and more vintage reindeer.

Well, I set aside some time today to take photos of my Night Before Christmas books, so I'll share those with you next....


Until then, stay safe and warm!


Donna

10 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

It looks very pretty at your house. I know I watched Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol but I don't remember it very clearly. I didn't realize it was made in 1962.

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

LAUGHING OUT LOUD....about the "need" for more Christmas decorations....or ANYTHING else for that matter...but "need
is not the driving force..it's the WANTING !!

MERRY CHRISTmas,

Rose~
http://delightfulclutter.blogspot.com/

Susan said...

Your sugar village is very "sweet," Donna. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful holiday. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Carol said...

Love the houses. I forgot all about Mr. Magoo's version of A Christmas Carol. I'll have to look for it. And the Muppets version is also one of my favorites. Brings back memories of watching with my son when he was a boy.

Donna said...

I love all your white on white decorating! And I would have a forest of those little bottle brush trees if I could, LOL!

Connie said...

My kids watched it, honey, because it's in their generation that it previewed. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas.
xoxo,
Connie

Julie Marie said...

Hello Donna, your sugar village is just beautiful, so glad you didn't pass on any of those! I LOVE Mr.Magoo! Merry Christmas to you and your family... Bisous... Julie Marie

Brenda Pruitt said...

They are adorable! I've been admiring little houses and villages like this on other blogs. And am wondering if some were homemade. I'm gonna have to figure out how to make these!
Brenda

Tracy said...

Hi Donna! I love the sugar village, I want to build one now too. I don't remember Mr. Magoo but I'm sure I've seen it. A Christmas Carol is my favorite story of all time, and the Muppet's Christmas Carol is my absolute favorite movie ever. I have probably watched it a hundred times!

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

So pretty. Love the vintage sleigh and reindeer, and I think it is a perfect fit with the pretty sugar village houses. laurie