Friday, December 4, 2009

Something old ... Something new....

My old junktique gems and my recent Target finds are being joined together in the decorating of our little cottage this Christmas!
(click any photos to enlarge)
Remember my recent post about the tinsel wreaths I found in the Dollar Section of Target? One of them is now hanging on the big old junktique dresser mirror in our entryway.
And on it is this scrolly PEACE sign that I picked up on clearance at AC Moore after Christmas last year (I added the glitter, then propped it up in the middle of the wreath)...
#1 Old & New: Old mirror/New tinsel wreath and PEACE sign

Onto more old and new...

Back in February I showed you this Salvation Army find, a snowflake candleholder...

Rather than a candle, I decided to fill it with mini glass ornaments in my favorite cottage colors of blue, pink, and green. And do you see that sweet little deer peeking at you from the corner of the photo?


I just couldn't leave him behind when I spotted him on this little tray at Target last week!
#2 Old & New: Old snowflake candleholder/New Target deer tray


And just look at this sweet book that I picked up while out junktiquing a couple of weeks ago. The little church illustration on the cover is what first caught my eye... I've got it displayed on top of this scalloped pedestal tray, next to my church birdhouse...


The book is titled, "Let's Keep Christmas," a sermon by Peter Marshall, with an introduction by Catherine Marshall, copyright 1953 (I was just a baby that year)...


Dust jacket original price: $1.50... I love the Christmas trees on the endpaper, too...


The talented Barbara Cooney illustrated the book. I love her. When the girls were little, we loved reading Miss Rumphius (The Lupine Lady), one of our favorites by Barbara Cooney...

Bunny loves looking at the charming illustrations....


... which are all done in red or green. I so enjoy these old books. It's always such a treat to find a good one while out thrifting!


This is the Marshall family on the back of the dust cover, relaxing at home. Their house looks so much like the one I remember from my childhood, right down to their dog! We had a blonde cocker spaniel named Rusty back in those days...

#3 Old & New: Old book/Fairly New Pedestal Dish

So there you have it... a little bit of old mixed with a little bit of new... you can't go wrong when mixing it up with Christmas decorations!!! I'll be sharing a lot more of our Christmas decorations in the upcoming days and weeks!
Now please visit Cindy of My Romantic Home to see her beautiful bedroom Christmas Tree and to find a list of all the other bloggers participating in Show & Tell Friday!


Donna

19 comments:

Janelle said...

I love it all! It's so much fun to find just the right mix of old and new treasures, isn't it?

Julie Marie said...

Hi Donna, I love this post! How fun to mix old with new like you have... my very favorite is the little pedestal with the vintage book and the bunny reading it! That is just precious! I love how happy memories just abound at Christmas time... yours are wonderful! Bisous... Julie Marie

Elaine said...

You have a knack for mixing old and new finds. Everything looks wonderful. Love the vintage books and the sweet little deer tray from Target.

Jean Tuthill said...

Oh Donna, I so enjoyed seeing your "old & new" Christmas decorations. I love buying new old ones. I love the vintage ones and I'm getting quite a collection. Most from the SA. I'm just getting started with the decorating now. Too much to do! You've done a wonderful job and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What an enchanting book. I've always liked Peter Marshalls. writings, but I haven't seen this one. Your Christmas decor looks so pretty. laurie

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
Your cottage is looking beautiful for the holidays. You have really put your heart into decorating it and it shows.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Old Time Cindy said...

I absolutely love that book!!!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Sandra said...

Love your vintage and new decor...that is how I like to decorate too. Thanks for the tips...looks like a trip to Target is happening today.

PattieJ said...

Beautiful!! You are so creative!I Love your blog!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Your vignettes are so lovely. I especially love the book. Bunny is a smart bunny to enjoy it! Thanks for sharing your Christmas pretties!

TQ said...

Hello Donna,

What a sweet home you have made, everything is just lovely.

You Christmas decorating is so warm and friendly ... and I love the way you have displayed the books.

Thank you for sharing and until next time- wishing you good health and happiness

Donna said...

Oh, I wish you could help decorate my home! Yours is so cottage gorgeous!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I just love your taste and style. It makes for a cozy inviting home I wish I was close enough to visit to see in person.
Brenda

Rosie said...

Your home is absolutely lovely. Can I come visit?
rosie

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

I think I'm in love!!

http://candyflosspersie.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna, I love the way you have the book open like that so bunny can see! Well, I really like everything, actually! I guess I do a lot of mixing the old with the new, too! It's so much fun seeing everyone's Christmas ideas!

I have my nativity set up. The question is- will I glitter it before Christmas? There is a whole lot of fun waiting in line so we'll see! ♥

*Ulrike* said...

It is always so much fun to mix the old and the new together. You have a done a beautiful job!

GwendolynKay said...

You found some great finds at Target! they blend so well with the rest of your things. Have a blessed day!
Gwen

Michelle said...

I love all your decorations ~ your home is so pretty!