Monday, December 21, 2009

a white Christmas...

It's official. According to the local weather, we'll be having a White Christmas.


So this is for you, Mom.


My mother loved, loved, loved snow...


...especially for Christmas.


So she would be tickled pink with the view outside my windows .


(I'd better brush the snow from the birdfeeder and put some seed out)...


It was 13 years ago today that we lost mom...


She was buried on Christmas Eve day.


At that time, I didn't think I would ever enjoy Christmas again.


Thank goodness I do. Time is a great healer.


My dad and sister were here for supper tonight, and of course we talked about Mom a lot. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she was right here with us, enjoying the conversation, the decorations, and the view from the windows....


So Merry Christmas, Mom! It's quiet ... I'm closing my eyes... concentrating... and I can hear you singing "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" as clearly as if you were right here with me.
"The heart, like the mind, has a memory.
And in it are the most precious keepsakes."
(Longfellow)
I love you,
Donna

14 comments:

Connie said...

ooooooo, Donna, we're getting some tomorrow, honey. I hope we have it on Christmas day but it doesn't look like it here. Merry Christmas,
xoxo,
Connie

Peggy said...

I lost my dad 11 yrs ago on Dec 6 (St Nicks day). I felt like you that I would never be able to enjoy the holiday season ever again. But time does heal. All nine of us kids and my mom keep him alive by talking about him all the time. We feel him around us. We even find tinsel (his favorite thing) all during the year...I think he's just reminding us he's still watching over us.
Peggy

Joanne Kennedy said...

Your post made me cry. I have really been missing my mom this Christmas and when you said you could close your eyes and hear her sing just pushed me over the edge.

My mom was the biggest lover of Christmas I've ever known. Our Christmas has never been the same without her.

So I know the ache in your heart. I hope my mom and your mom are in Heaven together enjoying Christmas together.

Hugs,
Joanne

stefanie said...

what a gorgeous sight, everything is like a fairytale, I know your mom is enjoying it

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Thank you for sharing your keepsake with us. Ours is my husbands dear brother that died on Christmas Day several yrs ago. He gave his heart to the Lord that day as I prayed over him. And I know I will see him again someday.

Merry Christmas Dear Donna and enjoy your very white Christmas!
Hugs, Sherry

Lyn said...

Christmas is a hard time to loose someone. I think she would be glad you still get together and talk and enjoy the season, she would want you to.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Donna said...

What a sweet post and remembrance of your mom! She is right there with you, and her memories should make every Christmas special for you.

Claudia said...

Oh, Donna, your mother would be thrilled at all that beautiful snow! I'm glad you can enjoy Christmas again and that you can share memories with your Dad and sister.

Your yard looks like a Winter Wonderland!

xoxo
Claudia

cargol said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but time does ease the pain. My Mom loved Christmas and snow too(although, she loved it better when she could just take in it's beauty not shoveling) Enjoy the memories and have a merry Christmas!
Carole

Diva Kreszl said...

I so understand Donna, I feel my Mom's presence throughout the year but especially now at Christmas! After I lost her I didn't feel much like decorating for the holidays but did so because I knew how much she loved it. Time has indeed helped and now the memories are filled with joy and laughter!

Jill said...

Beautiful post to your mother Donna. The house looks magical. It's still white here but they are saying rain for Christmas!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I'm glad you have snow, as she loved it. I'm glad time has healed what it can, and that the rest is bearable. Loss is that way. Dims a little in your memory and becomes bearable. I've got my birdfeeders stocked and they're out there now chirping and flitting from tree to tree. Such a welcome sight.
Brenda

Rosie said...

What a sweet note to your Mom.
God bless your Christmas with lots of memories of her.
rosie

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Beautiful and very touching post. Thank you for sharing.
Patricia