Saturday, October 16, 2010

Downtown Portsmouth, NH = Halloween Central

If you find yourself in New Hampshire between now and Halloween, you should make it a point to visit the quaint and colorful seaside city of Portsmouth! Amanda and I were there the other day to pick up some of her artwork from a downtown gallery, so we decided to make an afternoon of it.


Both the city and the shop owners go all out to welcome you. The New England /Autumn / Halloween decorations are everywhere and, while there, you might even run into some colorful characters!

You'll find the CUTE:





(I just had to get a closeup of the frog boots!!)

And you will find the SPOOKY:














You will also find the downright SCARY!









The shop owners have gone all out with their beautiful window and storefront displays:




(Okay, this one is not autumn related, but I had to include my beloved Beatles!!)














(I absolutely LOVED the bright blue storefront and the rainbow array of cookware on display in this Kitchenware store!!)








And if the gorgeous window displays aren't enough, you'll find yourself drooling over the many windowboxes, all so unique and beautiful!














Portsmouth is such a beautiful city!


Everywhere I looked, there was a picture-perfect photo opportunity... From this white spired church steeple...


To this bright blue wagon filled with flowers.


Even the fire hydrants are cheerful and colorful, totally in keeping with this city! (Speaking of fire hydrants, Portsmouth is a VERY dog-friendly city! Tons of people were walking their doggies and I noticed several kind shopowners had water bowls on the sidewalk outside their shops for the furry visitors to the city!)


There are signs to point you up picturesque alleyways...


... and signs that offer to teach you a new language :)


There are also signs that make you stop and think (click the photo to enlarge it so you can read the sign)...


After all your walking, shopping, oohing, and ahhhing, you'll surely want to grab a bite to eat, and Portsmouth does not disappoint in this area! You will find a HUGE selection of restaurants, cafes, and bakeries to choose from - there is something for everyone!


Amanda and I decided to brave it and eat at a sidewalk table (it was a tad chilly, but it was a GORGEOUS autumn day that we wanted to spend every minute outside! I'm sure in the warmer weather every outdoor seat is taken at this lovely restaurant!)


We ate at Popovers Bakery & Cafe and oh my gosh -the food was SOOO yummy! I had turkey pot pie in a popover and Amanda had tomato basil soup with a popover. Not a speck was left when we were done!


Amanda and I split a dessert. I wish I could remember the official name, but it was a lemon and caramel dessert and it was absolutely decadent!!! And look at the presentation - the perfect ending to our meal and to our afternoon in Portsmouth!


Before heading home, I picked up this beautiful New England postcard at one of the shops (Amanda picked out a cute one, too) to send to this lovely little girl, Reagyn (if you'd like, you can click on her name to read about her Postcard wish, and then the POSTCARDS tab on her website for her address). I heard about her through Tammy at Stitching & Shipping.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!!

Donna

11 comments:

carolineAlexander said...

I love Portsmouth. My college roommate lives there and my sister lives in NH. I can have a visit to my sisters without going to Portsmouth. What an beautiful fun town! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I delivered myy daughter at the Portsmouth Naval Ship yard back in 85! I love portsmouth and it's small town charm. Though much has changed since 85, it still carries the welcoming feel. Looks like you hit all the hot spots. Hugs. Tammy

Claudia said...

I've been to Portsmouth - but a very long time ago! How charming it is - looks like you two had a great time. I'm so glad you got away for a day. It's good for the soul.

xoxo
Claudia

A New England Life said...

Wow Donna! I couldn't have said it all better myself! Awesome job showcasing Portsmouth!

My husband and I drove through there earlier this week but didn't notice the big black scarecrows, even though I was looking for them. Maybe I was just blind that day. LOVE Popovers! I've only had their desserts and coffee but haven't been disappointed.

Glad you and Amanda had such a lovely time! Wish I knew you were coming up this way as I would have loved to have met you.

Sharon

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Oh yes, Portsmouth is wonderful and we're heading there today on our way south from Maine.

Thank you for reminding me to stop there.

All joys to you,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

mary pernula said...

I would love to visit this area some day. Thanks for sharing the photo's it was such a delight to me. HUGS MARY

jamesleetn said...

Hi, Loved your blog post about Downtown Portsmouth. I'm a new Portsmouth resident of just a few months and already love living here.

The Curious Cat said...

We're going here in two weeks! Exciting!!! xxx

Elaine said...

Portsmouth is great and I don't get there as often as I would like. But I do have two days off this week. Maybe I'll get there yet! Cute post!

Susan said...

Great photo tour, Donna. Thanks so much for sharing. The scary figures were indeed very scary looking. Even worse than I look in the morning. ha haGreat job! Susan

Unknown said...

this just blows my mind!! some fantastic pics there! We dont celebrate Halloween on this side of the pond as much as you guys do but its starting to lean that way and I think its great fun!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing!!Have a great week x x
Annie x