Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cottage Halloween Decor, minimalist style

We awoke to a beautiful day here in New England and, although not entirely sunny, the rain was at least a thing of the past.


I want to thank all of you for your heartfelt comments on my last post about stress. It seems that so many of you are, or have been, in similar situations with aging parents, etc. Carol, you were the only one I was not able to personally respond to. Thank you so much for your sweet comment on this topic as well...


Today I decided to put out a few decorations, and I do mean a few. Unlike other years, where I've had tons of pumpkins, fall leaves, and a wicked Witchy Woman, this year I'm going the minimalist route.


One lone pumpkin sits in a birdcage in the familyroom...


... but oh, what a pumpkin! Robin's egg blue with pink roses... be still my heart.


And at the risk of sounding like a well known political candidate in her new commercial, no, I am not a witch...


...but I do have a soft spot in my heart for black cats! This little cast iron sweetie has taken up residence in a bird cage...


...while this little beauty has nestled up against one of my all time favorite chenille pillows.


So that's it for this year's decorations. Don't blink or you'll miss them!
Now the outside is another story! Lots of little ghosts and goblins will be descending on our home this Halloween, and I love to decorate the yard for them. My girls always enjoyed trick-or-treating so much, and it's still such a fun part of the holiday for us, giving out the treats to all the kids who visit! So I'll share the yard in an upcoming post...
And thank you again, from the bottom of my heart, for all your kind comments, thoughts, and prayers...
Now be sure to pop over to Cindy's Show & Tell Friday at My Romantic Home! There are loads of links to beautiful blogs! Grab a cup of tea or coffee, sit back and enjoy!
Donna

16 comments:

Susan said...

Cute, Donna. Very cute. Susan

A New England Life said...

I'm a minimalist too Donna when it comes to indoor decor. Too much stuff and it feels overwhelming. Plus its all that much more to clean up!

I see you have a new banner and I like it! A new ad too, if I'm not mistaken. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! I just put a second ad up too : /

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I love your minimalist "Halloween" this year. Sometimes too much stuff just gets to be too overwhelming.

Blessings,
Valerie

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I like your cats and your minimalist decor. Simple but still very festive.

Christmas-etc... said...

Dear Donna,
Thanks so much for your lovely comment! Here is a link to my darling Harry dog http://www.stnicholasandchristmas.com/search/label/Personal
When you have the time, he and I welcome you! I too love black cats! My very first, Pepper, was nearly all black...just a little bit of white under her chin (but I forgave her for that!) and then there was Blackie (all black) who was the sweetest kindest cat in the world!
Love your decorations here!
Many blessings as you deal with all that your days bring,
Ann

Joanne Kennedy said...

I love the black cat in the bird cage! Very different.

It's been awhile since I've been around to everyone's blogs.

I know first hand how hard it is to be a care taker and when I read your poem I had to cry.

It must be so hard to be the one that is being taken care of. Knowing that our days are numbered and we are making our loved ones tend to our needs.

Your father is very blessed to have his girls who love him and take care of him.

I pray you both have the strength to continue to do so with love in your heart every day.

I'm just an email away if you need or want to vent :)

Hugs,
Joanne

Olivia said...

I love the black cats and the pumpkin. The perfect Halloween touch!
Hugs,
Olivia

Southern Lady said...

Your home is so lovely! I think the pumpkin is just adorable. Carla

Chloe m said...

I love the cat in the birdcage. Very clever and cute!

Heaven's Walk said...

Hi Donna! I'm so glad that you could feel our love and support through the words we sent you. Bloggers are a special bunch of people, you know. Always ready with a kind, encouraging word and a prayer! :) Loving your minimalist Halloween decor! Right up my alley, except that I would probably have live black cats! lol!

xoxo laurie

Claudia said...

Your home is beautiful, Donna. I love the black cat in the bird cage - that is inspired! And the nest banner hanging on the cage is lovely. Of course, everything is lovely, my friend. I've only put out the fabric pumpkins so far.

xo
Claudia

Jean Tuthill said...

I am late this year, that is decorating for fall. I just put the beach stuff away yesterday and haven't put out anything else yet. That's not like me. I just haven't decided what it's going to be yet! I love your pumpkin and the cat in the cage is so cute!

Brenda Pruitt said...

But your minimalist approach packs such a pretty punch! Love the birdcage arrangement.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I love that pumpkin. Clever idea. I am not doing halloween. I never really did get into it but this year, not even a little bit. I think I'd rather save up my energy for thanksgiving! Love the black cat! Hugs. Tammy

Arabella said...

Sometimes simple is the most beautiful ~ I love your decorations!

I'm a new follower from My Romantic Home's Show n Tell Friday.

Happy Fall to you & yours!

Marie
http://NauticalCottageBlog.com

Hcolton said...

Hi Donna! I too take the minimalist attitude to decorating indoors. Outdoors is another thing! This year I don't have my porch decorated quite to how I want it due to the government shut down. We have to conserve every penny right now. But I am still having fun with it!