Friday, January 30, 2009

Vntage Cherry Plates and Comfort Food...

Isn't this the sweetest little plate?


Just look how it dresses up this serving of tuna from last night's supper...


Now tuna salad might be able to stand on its own over the summer, but during the cold New England winters there's nothing like pairing it with a bowl of hot vegetable soup... Mmm mmmm good... Comfort food for sure...


Now back to these little dishes... The pattern is so adorable, but what really makes them sweet is that they were my Nana's! There's a large serving dish and 4 smaller lunch plates. (Ooops - there used to be four. I accidentally broke one in the early 80's. Have I ever mentioned what a butter-fingers I am?)


This is my Nana, who had the best taste when it came to picking out dishes and china (you can read my post about her china & hutch here)... I love this (late 50's) photo of my Nana sitting in her sparkling kitchen. I have the best childhood memories of Sunday dinners in that kitchen. I'll bet those cherry plates were stored in the hoosier cabinet right next to her!


At this angle, you can really see the unique scalloped edges on all of the plates...


The leaves are raised on one corner of each plate...


... and the cherries are also dimensional.


I have no idea how old these plates were... I'm assuming my Nana bought them some time between the 1920's and 1950's. The large serving dish has "401 ITALY" on the back; all of the smaller plates just say ITALY.


I'm so fortunate to have so many wonderful memories of my Nana, and to actually own pieces that she bought for her 'vintage cottage' years ago... (I love you, Nana!)

"EBTKS" Tuna Salad
Whenever I make tuna salad, I make a large batch for my family (tuna, chopped onion, chopped celery, Miracle Whip, pepper, and sometimes hard-boiled egg)... I also love that version, but I usually make a smaller batch of "Everything But The Kitchen Sink" Tuna Salad for me (my family thinks I go a bit overboard with the ingredients, but I love it!)
My EBTKS Tuna Salad: Tuna, chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped green olives w/pimentos, chopped dill pickles, mayo, pepper, and a bit of horseradish sauce for a little bite!!

Happy Friday, everyone!!
Donna

17 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

Those are great plates but how much more special knowing they were your dear Nana's!

Hugs,
Joanne

Kathleen said...

Your Nana looks like she was a vivacious woman. I also can see you resemble her. What a lovely photo to have. And what great taste she had. Those plates would be a fashionista's choice today. They are timeless. I have to admit, I do have a fondness for any "Cherry" motif. Enjoy your warm memories, and have a fantastic week-end! Hugs,

Anonymous said...

I love the plates. I have never seen any like those before. Very cute! And how special that they belonged to your Nana.
Lorri

Jean Tuthill said...

The dishes are wonderful, as are the memories of your Grandma. I knew mine and also have sweet memories of her. She also had two Hoosier cabinets in the kitchen that were full of good stuff. Actually, she had china cabinets all over her house that were full of salt & pepper shakers. And she had two pianos that we played on when we went to visit. I miss her, too. The tuna sounds great and I do that, too. I also add grated carrots, just for the crunch and extra nutrition. YUMMY!

Nola said...

Love your EBTKS Tuna Salad recipe; I do the same thing, make a "regular" tuna salad for everyone else, then put some aside for myself and put lots of stuff in it. Try chopping up cucumbers and water chestnuts, they give it a great crunch!

Attic Clutter said...

Hi Donna(:)
Oh love Nana and the tuna salad yummo(:)
Think I'll mix up some right now --for our lunch ~
You are so lucky to have the dishes and the wonderful memories ~~ Hugs, Patty

Margaret's Ramblings said...

God bless our Nanas. Mine was the most beautiful soul I have ever known, Margaret

Anonymous said...

THOSE ARE VERY PRETTY DISHES. THEY JUST DO NOT MAKE DISHES LIKE THAT ANY MORE. I LOVE THE PICTURE OF YOUR NANA. MY DIL INHERITED HER GRANDMOTHER'S HOOSIER CABINET. IT IS BEAUTIFUL AND ESPECIALLY WHEN IT BELONGED TO SOMEONE YOU LOVE.
I AM NEW TO BLOGGING BUT I HAVE TRULY MET SOME AWESOME WOMEN.
I WOULD BE HONORED IF YOU VISITED MY HUMBLE BLOG.
BLESSINGS
debbie

Stephanie said...

Your plates are wonderful and I love that they belonged to your grandmother, that just makes them priceless!!

I enjoyed your random facts!

Stephanie

Unknown said...

Ahhhhh.....what a beautiful picture of your Nana! and HOW PERFECT that she's sitting in her lovely, sparkling kitchen. The cherry plates are awesome. They are interesting and it would be cool to learn more of the history.

Anonymous said...

I adore those cherry plates! It would be kind of cool to take photos of them and hang them up around the kitchen so you could enjoy them twice over.

Oh and your Grandma looks like a wonderful woman. Women of a previous generation really do have a dignity and elegance that I admire so much.

Life on the Edge said...

Those dishes are so beautiful! What a treasure to have something like that, especially because it belonged to your Nana!

Kady

Simplicity Cottage said...

Love your little cherry plates...food just tastes better when you eat it from 'Nana's' vintage dishes! I love to make tuna with EVERTHING in it...I do mine like yours except I put chopped bell pepper in mine too! Yum...I know what I will have for lunch tomorrow!

love your blog!
xo ~ donna

cargol said...

Those dishes of Nana's are such a sweet reminder of her and a simpler time. That photo of her is just too cute! I remember many of the Blue Ridge dishes that I have of my families came as a premium either in washing detergent or from gas purchases.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi,
I just added to your blog. I have a weakness for the cottage ones. I love your vintage cherry plates! Cindy

tam said...

Oh Donna I love those sweet plates! You are a lucky girl to have them and from your Nanna too-makes them extra special!~Smiles~Tam!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wonderful dishes Donna, and such a nice keepsake memory of your Nan!


I enjoyed all the bird photos in your posts as I spent a few minutes reading all I've missed since my last visit. I love how your feeder is right next to the window. It must be fun watching them so close! I have mainly sparrows come to my feeder but every now and then a nuthatch or cardinal will drop by. It's been such a snowy winter that they are happy to find food!

Enjoy your week!

Hugs, Pat