Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Edward Gorey House




interviewer: "what is your greatest regret?"
gorey: "that i don't have one"

Saying that Edward Gorey (1925-2000) was multi-talented is an understatement. He was an author, illustrator, playwright, set and costume designer, and quite a private man. If you find yourself on Cape Cod this summer, I highly recommend you visit the Edward Gorey House located at 8 Strawberry Lane in Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts . It is the actual house that Edward Gorey and his feline companions lived in until his death, eight years ago today.

It was a wet, rainy day as I was leaving the Cape a couple of weeks ago, and the weather actually seemed quite appropriate to stop and take a few pictures of Edward Gorey House to share with you. The house is located off of (and visible from) scenic Rt. 6A/Old King's Highway.

I planned to take just a couple of outdoor photos, but was invited inside to see the new children's book exhibit being set up for the season (opening day is Thursday, April 17th and all days/hours of operation are listed on their website). So if you're in the area, by all means check it out. You won't be disappointed. And if you aren't lucky enough to be in the vicinity, you can still "shop the store" on their website! I've thoroughly enjoyed the small sampling of Gorey books that I own. I may browse the store myself to see if I can add one or two more (in particular, Elephant House by Kevin McDermott, a photographic journey through the house), or some notecards, or perhaps a t-shirt, or a bookmark.. or tote... or... or... or :)

Donna

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again loved the pictures! You should show his couch..lol!

Sometimes It's Good said...

deMy daughter is a big fan of Edward Gorey (well, me, too). I'll have to show her these pictures. I wish we could visit there.

Attic Clutter said...

Hi Donna
Oh I just love the darling windowbox with the red flowers (:) so Cheerful~~!!
Hope all is going good for you an yours..hugs Patty

Donna Lynn said...

Donna, loved your food post! That salad looks amazing, I will have to try the dressing as my husband is a huge Ranch dressing fan and Loves avocados! Your blog is lovely and you have an amazing first name!!!!! ; )
Donna Lynn

Anonymous said...

Oh... would I ever LOVE to "be in the area... it is so picturesque...
LInda

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

WOW Donna, I love Edward Gorey's artwork too! As a cat fancier I always thought his cats were so funny and whimsical and I own a few rubber stamp images of them.

I'd love to see his house someday -- thanks for all the info!

Hugs, Pat

Just A Girl said...

Oh, I love Edward Gorey. Especially his "uninvited guest." I hopped over here from Pat's blog at Mille Fiori. I've enjoyed my vistit...thank you!