Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Small cottage recycling center...





In honor of Earth Day... my recycling center...

I wish I had remembered to take a photo of this piece before painting it, but I didn't... So in order to show a 'before' photo, I had to crop it out of pictures where it appeared in the background, which makes for a very small photo that shows no detail. But that's okay because there really isn't a lot of detail in this little piece anyhow...

It's a small recycling center that I picked up at a craft show a few years ago. The front panel pulls down and there's a trash barrel inside. Even though the piece itself is small, the transition was quite dramatic. It was a very prim hunter green when I bought it, which looked great when the house was full of darker, primitive styled pieces.

Needless to say, when I decided to make our home 'lighter and brighter,' this piece got a makeover... It went from prim to cottage in no time thanks to a flower basket applique, creamy white paint, and a little glass knob...

A little FYI... I have no idea why I decided to look this up, but according to "Google Translate," the French translation for "small cottage recycling center" is Petit chalet centre de recyclage... in Spanish it's Pequeña cabaña centro de reciclaje... and in Dutch it's Kleine cottage recycling Center, which easily makes Dutch my top choice should I decide to learn a new language as I already know three out of the four words!!

Happy recycling!
(which ...can you believe this?... happy recycling is also the same in Dutch as it is in English according to Google Translate! At this rate, I'll be speaking Dutch fluently by mid-week!)

Donna

9 comments:

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Donna!
You did a fabulous makeover on your recycling center! LOVE the French basket appliqué on the bin and the glass knob was the finishing touch. I love makeovers don't you? It makes me feel good to use something we already have and make it new!
Hugs, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Oh, Donna, I love your blog. I have looked at all of your pictures and read most of it! All of your make overs on your furniture is wonderful!!! You know I think I really like blogging better than RMS! (I never thought I would say that) But it is just so much friendlier and it really is much less stress! Your post on the movie Enchanted Cottage is a thrill since that is my favorite movie of all times, I watch it at least twice a month!! Thank you so much for your blog, maybe more people will find it since you have posted your address on RMS.

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
I just wanted to say thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. Please stop back anytime.

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
I love your blog and I have added you to my favs.

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

{oc cottage} said...

Those buttons...in any language, say,
"Bea-u-tiful"!!!

M

NnN said...

Neat recycling bin! We had one built into the cabinets with the garbage can, and it is wonderful to have that luxury! AND, I am also a snapdragon and Elinor Dashwood...oh no...could there really be 2 of us!?!!?

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Another beautiful cottage piece makeover, Donna! I love the applique and glass knob. I am beginning to look at all my furniture and wonder if I could change something I have this way too.

I love "Edelweiss"! The Sound Of Music is one of my favorite movies.

Hugs, Pat

Cottage Dreaming said...

What a pretty idea. Love it. Thanks for stopping by. Holly is really becoming happy with her room. I am going to work on the window treatments tomorrow. So many rules that kid has me following..LOL I am glad I listened to my daughter and removed the pink and green. She is a tomboy, horse lover and outdoorsey girl. The other was to sweet..blue and white are her..Classic.
Have a great night,
Heather

A Romantic Porch said...

I just found your blog. It is so beautiful. xo RAchel