Friday, April 18, 2008

The Little Jelly Cupboard Makeover




I know... I know... I can hear you all now... "Oh, no! Not another one!"

If it seems as though I have a never ending supply of old styled furniture that has gone from its original "unfinished furniture store" look to the "country/primitive dark brown stained" phase to its current "creamy white painted cottage look," it's because I do! All of these pieces, although inexpensive to start with, have served me well for the past 20 or so years, so we're kind of like old friends...

This little cupboard has always sat in the corner of our dining area, housing some platters, dishes, and tablecloths rather than jars of jelly. The little mirror cabinet sitting on top was purchased at Home Goods several years ago. I sometimes switch things around on top of the cabinet, but the birdcage and the white pedestal bird on the aqua Franciscan platter are pretty much always there. (The poor bird... my black cat knocked it over several years ago so now the bird's chest is cracked with a gaping hole in it, and it lost its beak which I tried to 'mold' it a new one ... He's seen better days, but like the furniture, he's also an old friend, so I'm keeping him around!)

If I had it to do over again, I would have spent a little extra money and gotten bigger appliques for the three panels on the door. Those little cherub heads just look way too tiny, but once those appliques are adhered to the furniture, they are permanent!!!

P.S. Don't you love the rainbow on the wall over the mirrored cabinet in the top photo? I have little cut glass ornaments hanging in all of my windows and when the sun is shining at just the right angle, the house is full of rainbows!

Wishing you all a wonderful Friday!

Donna

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes.... please more... more... I love your make overs.... they are so stunning... it doesn't even look like the same piece of furniture... love the cherub.... do you paint it first before you apply it.... it's chippy little face it so cute...
Hugs
Linda
Love the rainbows... I have prisms hanging all over

Joy Jones said...

Hi Donna! You did a beautiful job. I really like the Cherub heads, I think they look great! xo ~ Joy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

HI Donna

I have all dark pine furniture from the 1970's, bought when I got married, so looking at your transformations are inspiring to me! I might take the plunge someday too, as I love how fresh and pretty your things look.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs, Pat

Victoria Lynn said...

Bravissimo!! That cabinet looks fantastic...amazing what the appliqués and white paint can do! Another makeover job well done! Blessings, Victoria Lynn

Attic Clutter said...

Hi Ho Donna(:) oh thank you, glad you like the little (Lavender) tour..
Yes I love it smells so good and looks so wonderful..
I really enjoyed your 'cupboard tour' (:) rainbow and all ..I also have several cupboards and armoires.. love them all ...there is something so homey about them~~
Cute Black kitty(:)
hugs Patty

Rue said...

Beautiful makeover once again Donna :) I think the cherubs are perfect.

Off to see what else I missed....

rue :)