Monday, May 5, 2008

One man's junk...

... is definitely this gal's treasure!! I scored this perfect cottage lamp in early April and the baker's rack on Saturday...

Just look at this sweet, chippy reading lamp that was sitting in front of someones house with a FREE sign attached to it!

And here's the white baker's rack with the FREE sign still attached! Again, just sitting at the end of someones driveway (and now temporarily plunked down in my backyard).

This is the coolest lamp. The light and shade extend out for reading and then swivel back in when not in use. Now the shiny gold has to go... it will probably be painted creamy white to match the lamp... And the pleated shade has a cracked plastic underlayer, so eventually it will need to be replaced, but for now it's just perfect as it is...

Just look at this old, scuffed up base. I couldn't faux paint a perfect worn finish like that if I tried!

I thought this baker's rack could work nicely as a trellis for either the cardinal climber or scarlet runner beans or moonflower vine that I'm going to (attempt to) grow... And maybe some plants on top of the shelves?

Now can you believe that my husband tried to talk me out of BOTH pieces? (Why is he always in the car with me when I spot this stuff??) There was actually a FREE rocker next to the lamp but he said "No way!" when I tried to talk him into helping me load that into the van, too! Sometimes he just can't see the beauty in "one man's junk" that I do! But I have to admit, he balances me out, and that's a good thing because we certainly did not need, or have room for, another rocking chair in the house!

P.S. We had our first hummingbird on Sunday. This is the earliest I've ever seen one. I'm so glad I had already put out the feeders!

Donna

11 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

You know what, I hate to admit it but I would be with your husband on this one. That is, until your descriptions and ideas. Now I'm thinking "wow! Wonderful finds".

Sometimes we just need to look at things in different ways to see the beauty in things.

You have a wonderful way of looking at things and seeing the beauty in things that others see as only trash. That's a gift!

Hugs
Joanne

Marie said...

What a great find!! Can't wait to see the finished products!

Anonymous said...

I love shopping curbside, it's the best. That lamp is perfect, with a little paint on the gold and a new shade, you've got the perfect lamp and I love your idea of a trellis, very creative. Hubbies can be kinda funny sometimes can't they....you should have gone back for the rocker LOL!! I can't believe you said that about a hummingbird, I am buying a feeder for the first time this year. I have seen people going through my checkout lane at work buying them so have been talking to them and getting some advice so am going to give it a try. Have a great day.

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

Attic Clutter said...

Donna~~Oh cool white metal shelf and lamp I have afew lamps like this I've gotten over the years at Garage sales and fixed them up ..I love them (:) hugs Patty

cargol said...

Great finds, that shelf will make a great trellis for climbing vines, how about a passion flower? I love when my city has bulky trash pickup, have a chair in my living room that I had slipcovered as well as several other things I have found over the years. A friend got a really cool old square iron table and as she was taking it, the owner came running out to say she had four matching chairs, did she want them too? That was pure luck!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I probably would have been tempted to pick up both too, Donna! The bakers rack will definitely look nice in a garden with flowers all over it!
Next time tell your hubby that the rocking chair is a project to refurbish and sall! You really have the talent to have transformed it into something worthwhile.

Happy Monday!

Cindy said...

I have a lamp like that too. You can see here that I never did buy a new shade, I just put lace over it.
http://romantichome.blogspot.com/2008/01/inexpensive-lamp-makeover.html

Deborah aka Miss Bee said...

Well now, who would have thought to put that baker's rack in the garden for climbing plants?!! Excellent idea!

Hope you will come over to join my giveaway!

Rue said...

Hi Donna :)

How come I never see anything that great on the side of the road?? I can't wait to see them when you're done!

Did you get a picture of the hummingbird??

Hugs,
rue

{oc cottage} said...

What finds! Love the rack! Oh my gosh! I never thought about not having H. Birds all year long! The things we never even consider....


M

Aunt Colana said...

I'm curious! What did you finally do with your white baker's rack? What a great find!