Friday, May 9, 2008

So who guessed right?

(Note to Jessica: Hi Jessica! I'm so sorry, but I do not know who manufactured my statue. I purchased mine at an multi-antique dealer shop in New Hampahsire, but I don't know anything other than she is old, chippy, and the most beautiful statuary I ever laid eyes on! I wish I could have been of more help to you!)

Remember when I told you I bought something that was pictured in one of the photos I took at Fairground Antiques last month? I just couldn't pass up 50% off on this vintage Mary garden statue with the most incredible chippy cottage charm!

The original photo from the antique store just didn’t do her justice, so here are some close-ups I took today… (the chippy details really show up when the photos are enlarged)

I would have shared her with you earlier, but at 33" tall and about 80 lbs., there was no way I could get her out of the van by myself.

So last night hubby and I put her in the wheelbarrow and set her down in front of the hemlock, where she now watches over all the garden creatures and birds that visit our little back yard.

I'd been looking at Mary garden statues for the past several years, and when I spotted this vintage one (at such an incredibly affordable price), I knew my search was over... she was perfect. I love looking out the window and seeing her standing in the corner of the yard...

Donna

9 comments:

Rue said...

She looks absolutely beautiful out there Donna :)

hugs,
rue

Joanne Kennedy said...

She is beautiful and perfect for your garden.

Isn't it funny that people like us just adore old chippy items more then brand new.

Some people would look at her and think she needed painted. To us she is perfect.

Hugs
Joanne

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Just beautiful Donna! Perfect for Mother's Day! May she bless your garden with peace and love always.

Hapy Mohter's day Weekend!

Hugs, Pat

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Oh Donna,
This is one of most beautiful items I've seen in a long time. All the lovely chippy parts make her all the better.

How wonderful for you to look out of the window and see her there with such peace!

Happy Mother's Day weekend!
~Tracie

cargol said...

Guessed wrong! But she is perfect for your garden!

Life on the Edge said...

I'm so excited that I found your blog! Your rooms were among my favorites on RMS! I love your cottage style and your painted furniture. You have oh so many beautiful things!

If you would please, I would love for you to accept my blog awards that I am passing on to everyone on my favorites list, to which I just added you. You can pick up the awards on my post of 5/5/08.

Aunt Colana said...

Lovely Statue of Mary! I'd love to find one that that for our yard. Maybe saying an extra AVE will help!

J said...

Mary is beautiful. I have been wishing for a St. Francis statue for outside (already have a 36" wonderful inside one) but now I think I will expand my search to include Mary as well!

pieceomyheartvintage said...

I'm wondering if you know where your statue of Mary is from? I just found a much smaller one that I love that looks a lot like yours. Do you know where she was made? thanks! Jessica