Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Preparing for winter... let there be light

So about the family room tweaking... There are now 3 floor lamps in the room. The shorter days of winter are rapidly approaching and I will definitely miss the l-o-n-g, sun-filled days of summer.


Therefore, I want to make sure the room is nice and bright, especially when it will be DARK at only 5 p.m. (how depressing). So the first is the floor lamp behind the sofa. It has always been there but it now sports the prismed lampshade that Patience once wore. The second floor lamp sits over by the window and bookcases. It's the one I got for FREE on the curb a couple of years ago. Love it!

The newest lamp in the family room came up from Courtney's bedroom. She didn't want it anymore so I gladly took it. It's a combination marble table & floor lamp. And although the pink, green, & white striped shade looked great down in Court's room...

... I decided to use just a plain white shade up in the family room. (It's so nice having a table next to the wing chair!) Anyhow, I replaced the striped shade with the white shade from the lamp behind the sofa...


...which then left me short a lampshade which is what led me to steal Patience's prismed shade.

And because I put one of the floor lamps over by the window, which is where the white bird cage & stand was located, I had to move the cage to the other wall by the slider. (Why does one simple change always result in multiple changes???)

And after moving the birdcage with the heavy cast iron cat sitting inside of it, I decided it was just too top heavy and unstable with all that weight in the cage...

...so I replaced the cat with a nice lightweight fabric pumpkin...


...and Mr. Cast Iron Kitty got moved to the top of the television (next to yet another birdcage!)...

Phew! Done!!! So that's the "getting ready for the shorter days of winter" tweaking that's been going on in the family room. I hope those 3 floor lamps are a sufficient substitute for the daylight I will be longing for! (Oh, and please excuse Courtney's pile of clothes and shoes next to the wing chair... Lots of sorting and minimizing going on) ........... Donna (who is very frustrated because it's impossible to edit this listing - it won't allow me to edit the spacing, make paragraphs, or even do simple line returns ... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

13 comments:

Monika said...

Your home is beautiful! I love it!yes,it is necessary to replace the sunshine with a lamp in order for us not to be in the darkness in winter.
Love: Mammka from Hungary

Unknown said...

A good idea to get the lighting ready for the long evenings - I love this time of year!

You bird cages are gorgeous!

Claudia said...

That's such a smart thing to do, Donna. Add lots of light. I, like you, am dreading the shorter days. Not my favorite part of winter! I think my painted table is part of my 'lighten up' strategy!

xo
Claudia

Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage said...

You can't beat a good lamp or two for making a place feel warm and cozy. I have always preferred them to overhead lighting. ; )
~Michele

Anonymous said...

Your home is very welcoming. I would love to sit on that couch in front of your double french doors. Look at how the light filters in there. MY bostons would never leave the spot. Hugs. Tammy

Dogwood said...

your home looks so pretty. i love the windows. i wonder how old your house is? it appears so cozy and ready for winter and shorter days.

Susan said...

Great idea to add lots of lights to the living room, Donna. I'd better go start lining more lamps us, too. Susan

Carol said...

Such a beautiful room. It looks so light and airy....and comfortable.

Southern Lady said...

I'm sure your room will be quite cozy when the winter months arrive! Carla

La Petite Gallery said...

Dreading the dark days of winter. I was from Texas and Florida. So SUN was a big part of my life. Now
in Maine I have to have lots of windows to survive. You are smart to get the Lamps ready. Winter days are a comin..
yvonne

Elizabeth and Gary said...

You have been a busy girl! everything looks great and so pretty..very charming.
Have a sweet day-Elizabeth

Brenda Pruitt said...

Hasn't Blogger been crazy lately? I drive myself nuts trying to get the spacing even, only to publish and find that it messes it up! It looks cozy with the lamps. I have to have multiple lamps in all rooms in all seasons, due to a dark house.
Brenda

Heaven's Walk said...

Ugh! Blogger was nutso tonight! Couldn't load the photos I wanted! Grrrr! Soooo....back to reading everyone else's wonderful posts - which is what I love doing anyway!

I'm so with you about the shortened days. I've been doing the same thing here. Lightening things up, bringing in more light, trying to keep the summery feel going. Love what you did in your fam room! It looks so very cozy and welcoming - and a wonderful place to curl up once the snow begins to fly! :)

xoxo laurie