Monday, November 19, 2012

I {{{ heart }}} my garden gates...

Oh how I will miss this old garden gate...
Four years ago, I even wrote a "love post" about it...

But the years have taken their toll, weathering the wood beyond repair.

It aged gracefully, and served us well for almost twenty years.

During that time countless children, now young adults, passed through this gate to play in our backyard.
 
And throughout the changing New England seasons...
 
... through all kinds of weather...
 

... it has provided a place for birds to rest...
 
... and chipmunks to play....

With each passing year, the weathered gate watched the clematis grow taller, fuller, and more colorful as it cascaded over the simple arbor.

We knew that this day would eventually come. We couldn't delay the inevitable any longer.

So last week, with great care, the old gate was removed and hubby started building a new gate, using the exact same design I came up with so many years ago.
 
With the frame built, it was time to start staggering the pickets...
 
Taller ones on the outer edges, gradually getting shorter toward the center; pickets spaced out just a bit so as to offer a hint of the secret garden that lay beyond the gate.
 
The gate had to have a heart in the center to represent love, and the memories of family and friends who passed through it over the years.
 
This new heart is perfect in its imperfection. Simple. Rustic. Made with love.

Just as the old heart was.
 
And then it was time for this beautiful new gate to be attached to the fence under the old arbor.
 
Hello, beautiful new gate.
 
May you, and the new fence that was also put up this year, last at least another twenty years, eventually weathering to that driftwood shade of gray that I find so charming.
 
This week I'm joining Brenda at Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday
and Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show & Tell Friday.
 
Have a wonderful week, everyone!
 
Donna
 

15 comments:

Val said...

Ah! I'd save a section of the old gate for in the house somewhere, I love weathered wood too, and it's so much a part of you guys. :)

Lovely photos and beautiful work on the fence and gate ♥

Val said...

! that should have ended. :)

Mantha said...

How beautiful.. i found that rather emotional, but with a happy ending :) xx

C M Designs said...

Good morning Donna, I love, love, love your new gate with the <3. I hope it will last many, many seasons in it's new home..
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving week and day.
Charlotte in Va.

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

It so pretty; I love your home!

sue
xo

Donna said...

I LOVE it! A new gate for new memories!

And the photo of the chipmunk balanced on a picket of the old gate is magical...

Olive said...

Donna, the gate is charming and thankfully you guys have the skill to replace it. Love that chipmonk shot. xo, olive

Marissa said...

What a beautiful heart gate.. and so many memories it has.. and the new one looks amazing.. so inviting!!

craftyles said...

What a pretty gate and the story behind it is lovely. I hope your new gate lasts as long and has as many memories.

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

So many beautiful pictures and the post was lovely too....I think that your place IS enchanted :)

Susan said...

Awwwwww, bye bye old gate, hello new one. Change is good and you have tons of beautiful "remembrance" photos. Nice job, Donna. Susan

Melanie said...

Your gate (old AND new) are so pretty! I love garden gates, too - I think they're so romantic. You're lucky that your husband can build one...my hubby is wonderful, but he's not a handyman at all.

Donna said...

What a beautiful story. I know exactly how you feel about the old worn gate. Your new one will age with the same beauty as the old, I am sure. Your garden and flowers are so lovely. Isn't it wonderful to have a husband who can build exactly what you want!

Hugs,
Donna

Elaine said...

It looks great. Maybe you can use the other one as a piece of art in the garden?

Carolyn said...

I love the old gate and it won't be long until the new one ages gracefully too.

Carolyn