Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Rainy days and Mondays....

 We certainly got a good soaking yesterday...

(Ajuga)
... with several heavy downpours from afternoon into evening.

(Basil)
Therefore, all of my photos were taken from the deck, under the protection of our canopy.

Here's a little clip of the rain coming down....



Once the rain stopped, I went back out on the deck. While taking another little 'camera video' I captured a male ruby throat zoom right by me, totally ignore the feeder, and go for the hanging plant. In the background, you'll also see Sammy Squirrel coming out to play now that the rains had ceased.


A few minutes later I captured the female ruby throat hovering right in front of me. I didn't even realize she was there until I played back the video.

(Red Nasturtium)
I've yet to see any hummers at the nasturtium that I have planted on the deck, so I moved the pots very close to the feeder. Hopefully they'll visit them now with the change of location.

(Orange Nasturtium)
And they very well may be visiting the nasturtiums on a regular basis, just not when I've been out there. The new location also allows me a better view of the plants from the dining room window.

So far my flowers are holding up pretty good...

I do NOT have a green thumb and by mid July my flowers really showcase that fact.

But they're so beautiful before they start going downhill.

The flowers I always have the best luck with (no need to deadhead or fertilize) are impatiens, and they were hard to come by this year. Many nurseries weren't even selling them, and the ones that were had a 'disclaimer' of sorts up. So far they're all doing great...

After photographing the deck flowers...

... I turned my attention to some of my Sammy Squirrel friends.

This cute guy was watching me from the top of the arbor...

... while this little guy was hanging out on the swingset...

... and this smart Sammy, knowing my peanut basket was right next to me on the deck, decided to come right up and beg for a treat.

Wishing you all a beautiful month of July...

Donna 

3 comments:

Maureen Wyatt said...

Wow, you are regular Snow White with all your birds and woodland friends! Even with the rain, it all looks wonderful.

Susan said...

Hi Donna....Loved your videos. Sammy has a ton of cousins right in our yard and they are big fat pain.

They were stealing all the seeds from our bird feeders. Then, we greased the pole and that is helping.

Wish I could send the whole little army of them to Sammy! ha haha

Your flower photos are stunning! Great job! Susan

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What beauty!!! I love summer flowers.