Friday, October 3, 2008

$1 can make a difference...

Late last week a good friend sent me a link to a website called Friends of George. George was diagnosed with prostate cancer seven years ago. My friend's husband has also been battling this disease, as did my dad (now in his 80's) almost 20 years ago.

Gina & George


George is married to Gina, a "take charge" kind of gal. When insurance wouldn't pay the $20,000 (required up front) for his treatment at an alternative treatment center, Gina decided to raise the money herself. (As of September 21st, they've raised $16,270, so they still have a ways to go before October 13th, the day of George's first treatment.)

Well, Gina decided to sell a downloadable cookbook to raise the money. She's charging only $1 and it can be ordered here. Paypal makes it so easy to make a payment or a donation. I have my recipe booklet right here and if Sweet Potato Casserole, Agnes' Zucchini Bread, Edith's Famous Carrot Cake, Mom's Healthy Pie Crust or any of several other tried and true favorite family recipes sound good to you, hop on over there and get a copy! Print it out and you could be cooking today!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and feel free to share their story on your own blogs if you'd like. And my thoughts and prayers are with you, George and Gina!

Donna

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Thank you for posting about this I will have to go check it out.

Sarah Taylor said...

I'm on my way to order a cookbook now. A strong take charge woman indeed!

Stop by my blog when you get a chance...there's an award waiting for you!

Thanks for sharing this story! Have a wonderful day!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Very nice post Donna....you are the nicest person!!!

Esther said...

I admire people that don't let things get them down, but just find another way around the problem.

I will definately order a cookbook.

Gina said...

Donna, thank you so much for this post!!! Wow!! I have been so overwhelmed at how people have helped me in this endeavor.
Only 8 more days until we leave for our trip!!!
Thank you to everyone who has ordered a cookbook- I hope you enjoy it!!
:-D