Thursday, October 9, 2008

All that glitters....

...is not gold... but it may have been brass at one time!

(click any photos to enlarge)

Since it's Halloween month, a black cat post certainly seems appropriate! This is one of my favorite photos of my handsome Mr. B (who also happens to be my current banner)... I had a few of these 5x7 antique brass frames, and a while back I decided to transform one of them into a sparkly silver frame. (Check out Tales from an OC Cottage to see how she recently 'glittered' up some frames - they turned out great!)


So I got out my 'glitter bowl' which is full of glitters, shimmery paints, prisms and whatnot, and got to work... I sealed the frame; let it dry; painted it a shimmery silver; put on another coat of sealer and while that was still wet, I sprinkled silver glitter over the frame... (I got this "German Glass Glitter" from Lori at Katie's Rose Cottage - it's great stuff!!! I have a lot of Christmas projects I'm going to be using this on!)


Anyhow, sometimes things don't turn out as planned... I love the way the frame turned out, but I actually think the old brass frame brought out the gold in Mr. B's eyes... So I put him back into the brass frame that I hadn't painted...


And then I found a perfect photo for the new sparkly silver frame - a favorite photo of the girls from the early 90's, printed out in b&w... Sometimes it works out even better when things don't turn out as originally planned!


Donna

8 comments:

Em said...

GREAT makeover! Love the glittery new look ;)

Kathy said...

I really like the way the picture frame turned out. I'm going to have to go check out this "German Glass Glitter".

Thanks for sharing.

Nola said...

Love the new banner; anything with a cat tugs at my heartstrings! I get carried away with the black spray paint, too. Do you think there's a support group for that?? haha!

Stacy said...

Love that new pic. Beautiful.

Thank you SO much for the package. It came yesterday. I love it! I blogged about it and sent people your way:

http://19butternut.blogspot.com/2008/10/enchanted-gift.html

Hope thats ok? Thank you again!

~Stacy

Angie said...

Hi Donna!

What lovely frames anyway...the glass glitter added a whole new dimension of fabulousness....love it! I am going to have to give it a try..I have some glass glitter, too! Hope all is well with you!

Love, Angie

Joanne Kennedy said...

Your kitty is perfect for Halloween.

Your frame looks great with the vintage photo of the girls in there.

I have a frame, the letters BOO and a candle holder outside drying right now.

I painted them black and put black glitter on them. I don't know what is wrong with me. I forgot to take before photos.

Well, I do know what's wrong. I'm sicker then a dog and shouldn't have been outside painting to begin with. Oh well. I can show the after.

Hugs,
Joanne

Lisa & Alfie said...

I call those happy mistakes!
Lisa & Alfie

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Adorable pics of your kids & Mr. B ~ my gosh, I thought you stole my lil black furball Muffin for your header pic! Come visit my blog to see what I'm talking about!!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents