Monday, October 6, 2008

That blasted chicken...

... was so darn good!!! (It is so good to have an oven again!)

I made "Blasted Chicken" for supper the other night... I don't remember where I originally got this recipe, but the chicken comes out so moist and flavorful! I'm not a very good cook. As a matter of fact, I'm a pretty bad cook (that's the reason I don't post meals/recipes very often!), so the meals I prepare have to be very simple - and this one is...


Here's the pale little fella right before I popped him into the oven. (Can you tell I like to use LOTS of seasoning?)


And this is my favorite "rub" for chicken or turkey. (I think they should just call it poultry rub!)


Mmmmmm... Here it is, straight from the oven... Perfection!


I love mashed butternut squash. (Don't mind the squash and pepper all over the top inside of the bowl... This was going straight to the table and I didn't fancy things up for the photos!)


I needed one more side dish... My family loves garlic mashed potatoes...


Okay, so I cheated a bit here. But the rest was all homemade! And all kidding aside, have you ever tried these?? They are really good! My family loves them. And only 5 minutes in the microwave!

Blasted Chicken Recipe
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Whole chicken (around 4 lbs.)
Seasoning or rub of choice
1) Rinse chicken and remove 'innards'.
2) Spray roasting pan with Pam.
3) Rub chicken with seasoning (I use lots!).
4) Place chicken breast-side down in roasting pan
5) Place in center of oven, uncovered. (Do not open the oven door once you put it in)
6) Bake at least 1 hour and 15 minutes at 425 degrees
7) Remove from oven; let sit for about 5 minutes; then serve.
We are definitely eating more hot meals since the weather has turned chilly here in the Northeast! I hope you enjoy this simple recipe... It's easy to fix and easy to clean up!! Enjoy!
Donna (The non-cook)

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

Ooooh, Donna, that looks so good! I'll have to try that recipe. Everything looks delicious! And I'll look for that Turkey (poultry) rub. I'd like to add that to my pantry. ~Adrienne~

Sometimes It's Good said...

It looks great and sounds like it would be yummy!

Kathy said...

The "Blasted Chicken" looks and sounds delish, I'll have to give that a try. Nothing I hate worse than dry meat.

Unknown said...

Yum! Sounds easy enough for me even. I will try it!

~Liz~

Claudia said...

Hey Donna,

Thanks so much for your comment on my kitchen island. It means a great deal to hear your positive feedback. You know I love your blog. I'm a vegetarian, but my husband will love your "Blasted Chicken" recipe...I will pass it on to him.

Hope Autumn isn't too cold yet, but I hear there are frost warnings tonight.

Best,
Claudia

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy this method of cooking. Breast side down is a good way for gravity to draw the juices. I never tried the rub, because I usually brine it first. However after looking at this, I can DO IT...LOL.
Dinner looks delish, I smell the aromas from here. Great Job!

Life on the Edge said...

That looks so good, and it's so easy that I think even I could do something like this! Oh yum, squash and garlic taters! I'm coming to your house for dinner! lol

Kady

Fantastic Figments said...

Please adopt me I would have loved to have been part of the family the night that you had that wonderful dinner! YUMMY!

Smooches,
Steph

Anonymous said...

Your my kind of gal Donna.
I'm a simple cook also and usually throw in the chicken with a little garlic rub under the skin, rosemary & thyme & the seasoning, good old McCormick that's it.
Now those garlic potatoes I have seen and now I will buy..lol
Claudie from Canada