Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Bluebird of Happiness...

I'm back from my mini-getaway and computer break, and just in time, too, because look who visited our yard today... Isn't he handsome?

A "little birdie" must have told him that I have an endless supply of water for my feathered friends!


Well, he must have flown in through an open window because a bit later I found him inside, sitting in the dining room window...


Not long after, he hopped over to Nana's hutch, settling in next to the bird's nest while chirping to me that he'd like to stay there forever, as he felt right at home with all the blues and pinks in the china pattern. Of course you cay stay, sweet bluebird!!! Oh, and he sings, too!! He has a little music box key on his base that plays "It's a Small World" when wound.
(Okay, here's the real story... I found this little guy in a junktique shop on my mini-getaway to western Massachusetts. He was only $2.50 - how could I pass him up?? He's the epitome of cottage charm!)


And speaking of bluebirds, have you ever seen this Shirley Temple movie? It's one of my favorites. It might be hard to locate a copy at a video/DVD rental store, but there are many video and DVD copies available for purchase on eBay and on-line... It's the story of quite a thoughtless, selfish little girl, and her search for the bluebird of happiness...


At the same junktique shop, I found this vintage blue flower brooch (again, for only a couple of dollars!)... A very cute pin to dress up a sweater or blouse...


...I'll just hang it on the nail head that my swan paint-by-number hangs from until I need it...

I'll share more photos of my little getaway soon... Western Massachusetts is so beautiful... I can't wait to go back again sometime!

And thank you, Alaura, for the lovely award - and Deborah, for tagging me! I will post about the award and tag later in the week!!

Donna

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE your sweet blue bird and other treasures, too! I want to go someplace EAST of St. Louis,but that's as far as it will be for a bit. I would love to visit Mass. again--twas there a few years back with the husband and I loved every place we visited! Glad you had a nice break!

How many days until Mama Mia? I'm giddy with excitement!!!

Kim's Treasures said...

Love your bluebird, the Shirley Temple Movie and the pin! You found some wonderful things!
Happy treasure hunting!
Kim

Anonymous said...

I just love your bluebird.... they really are the sweetest birds. I have a bluebird nesting in my front yard... they have such a sweet song.... glad you had a nice trip..
HUgs
Linda

Michele said...

I love your little birdie!! He's so cute on that shelf by the nest! Gotta love a bargain for something you love, huh?! Glad you had fun on your trip, and I look forward to seeing your pictures from your trip.

Hugs,
Michele
luvkittysmeowmail@gmail.com

Adrienne said...

What a sweet little bluebird! I love that painting. Thanks for sharing your treasures. ~Adrienne~

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I love your blue bird and the other things too. I always love to hear about junking trips!
And your kids are adorable!

Connie said...

That's truly quite lovely, little bluebird chick! I'd buy it in a shot!!
Smoochies,
Connie

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Hi Donna! Me again. Thanks for visiting my blog! I read that you had changed over to cottage style. I love that too! In fact, I love all kinds of decor, but prim just suits my family better. I can't have anything white in this house! LOL! But I do love it.
Please drop by and visit me again soon. :)

Devonia said...

Blue birds melt me and I especially enjoyed your sweet photos and bluebird story. You have a way with words and presentation. I popped in as a result of Deborah's tag. So happy I followed it - I'll be sure to return. Devonia

Joanne Kennedy said...

I'm so happy you are home. I missed you!!!!

Well that little blue bird sure likes to pose for pictures. What a sweetie pie. Glad you were able to find him the perfect home.

Love the flower too. Looks great with that painting.

Hugs,

cargol said...

Sounds like you had a great little getaway! Your bluebird is perfectly at home!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I love your new little feathered friend. He's sweet. May you enjoy he and his "song" for years to come :0). The pin is quite pretty. I really liked that. Can't wait to see your pics of Mass. I've never been there myself. I hear great things about it though.

Sometimes It's Good said...

Love your blue bird and Judy Garland singing too! Her voice is so beautiful.

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

Love your little bluebird! :)

Life on the Edge said...

This is just too cute! I love the way he looks there on the hutch. You made a great find!

Kady