Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Update to Comments... Thank you ALL for leaving such precious comments! My dad, who isn't of the computer generation, saw his "birthday blog post" on my computer after supper tonight, and he got the biggest kick out of the fact that people who don't even know him took the time to leave such sweet messages/birthday wishes!! Thank you all - so much - for making his birthday all the more special!!!!! ...Donna


Doesn't he look cute out on the deck last night? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree... Look what he's holding - a peanut for Sammy Squirrel or Chip! He's a regular animal lover, and looks forward to the little critters visiting him when we eat out on the deck every night...


And here is is with the girls a couple of years ago... A mutual admiration society, I'd say!!


And here I am, with mom and dad, many, many years ago!


"Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog."
~ Sidney Jeanne Seward

This is one of the most touching photos I have of my dad... Dad absolutely loved our Mr. O'Malley - and vice versa. They were best buddies. Ever since Mom died about 12 years ago, Dad has come over for dinner most nights. Malley would always plunk himself down next to dad, knowing handouts from him were a sure bet. That, of course, earned Dad "top dog" spot in Malley's eyes... Here is Dad, saying his last goodbye to his buddy, the night before O'Malley had to be put to sleep last September... There are so many emotions attached to this ph0to, but most of all love...


No, they don't make them like you anymore, Dad... You are one in a million and we all love you so much!

Love, Donna

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna, What a touching post! You are so lucky to have your sweet dad--and close enough to share in your family life! Of course, the photo and text of your dad and Mr. O'Malley just brought tears to my eyes. Mr. O was so fortunate to have been a favorite of your dad's (and visa versa). I have your "tag" posted (finally). I am still verrrry slow at all of this blogging stuff!

Joanne Kennedy said...

Oh Donna,

This post made me cry! It brought a lot of emotions to me. It made me think about my dad and how much I wish he was still alive to share dinners with. That photo of him and your dog was so touching.

Your dad is so handsome! I can tell he is the type of man that I would love to sit down with and talk for hours.

You are so lucky to have all this time to spend with him.

He did a good job of raising a wonderful daughter!

Hugs,
Joanne

Life on the Edge said...

What a sweet post! I love that pic of your father with your dog. Just the thought brought tears to my eyes. You are so blessed to have your dad still with you, and I can tell that you really cherish him.

Kady

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Donna,
What a precious post. Happy Birthday to your papa.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Connie said...

What a sweet tribute to a lovely man! You didn't do so bad yourself, my sweet little cherub, with those adorable daughters of yours!
Smoochies,
Connie

Sometimes It's Good said...

What a cutie your dad was and is! The photo of him with your beautiful dog is so touching. It brought back so many memories. My dad was a wonderful storyteller and animal lover, too. I miss him so much.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Happy Birthday to your dad. May his special day be filled with lots of laughter, fun and love.

Anonymous said...

Donna, you're bringing tears to my eyes! How precious are these photos about your dad. My dad passed away 11 years ago and I still miss him very much. I can see the love in his and your beautiful daughter's eyes as they are just a huggin'.
Come see me tomorrow. I'm having a tea part - along with many others. It should be fun.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna..... Dads and old dogs are my soft spot.... my eyes are filled with tears .... what a touching picture of your dear Dad and dear Mr. Malley.... oh my it is so sad when our dear furry ones have to go... What a wonderful daughter you are and I know those are precious times with your dear Dad..
Hugs
Linda
Happy Birthday blessing to your Dad

Anonymous said...

I'm sweeping back tears myself. That one is definitely a keeper. And needs a place of real importance!
Brenda

{oc cottage} said...

Absolutely darling!

M ^..^

Cottage Rose said...

Donna; what a lovely post. I like all the other ladies, love the photo of you dad and Mr. O. And the one of you is so cute you little dickens you. Your Dad is such a handsome looking fella, I pray the good Lord blesses you with many more dinners. Have a great week.

Hugs;
Alaura

joyh82 said...

Donna, what a sweet post. Hope your Dad had a great bday. He looks so sweet.

Rue said...

You made me cry Donna. He looks like such a sweet dad. My grandpa (Papa) loved animals too and your dad really reminds me of him. He's a handsome man like him too :)

Happy belated Birthday to your dad!

hugs,
rue

Kelly George said...

Oh my gosh, what a sweet and so touching photo!

Jill said...

Gosh Donna you've went and done it again, brought tears to my eyes...the picture of your dad and the dog...how sweet. Now I am swiping my eyes as I type. I sure have missed coming by to visit.

~Jill