Monday, June 9, 2008

My "This and That" Kitchen Shelving Unit

This is the shelving unit/cabinet that my husband made years ago for our kitchen...


It backs up to the side of the fridge in our teensy weensy kitchen. Over the years different things have been stored in and on it, but this is how it looks right now.


On the top shelf we have flashlights in the big pitcher... And then there's my blue Fenton peacock vase... a pin cushion in a bright green plant pot (I love the blue and green together!), and two baskets (the bottom one holds batteries and such - the top one has lots and lots of take-out menus!!!) The top one gets used a lot!!


Just a little bling to dress the shelves up a bit.... a glass covered pedestal serving dish that now houses a strand of 60's faux pearls that used to be a necklace (until the clasp broke)...


My little "when pigs fly" statue, a gift from a friend :) Isn't he the most cheerful looking pig you've ever seen?


Underneath this rusty cherub door knocker are my white cloth napkins...


Some of my glass serving bowls sit on top of a vintage pink and white pillowcase on the bottom shelf...


More table linens (toppers and small tablecloths) are stored in this larger basket.


And I keep my mom's white canister set, all nested, on one of the shelves...

In past years, cookbooks have lined the shelves, and the bottom storage section has been used as a recycling center and when we had our beautiful doggums, it held their big 25 lb. bags of dog food. I'm sure over the years the shelves and storage unit will again change with our needs, but for now, it serves us well just as it is....

And once again, it used to be stained dark brown (no big surprise there!!)... I am thinking it might need a nice big applique on the bottom section...

Donna

10 comments:

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Donna!
What a great storage unit! You've been very creative with your ideas, flashlights in the pitcher?? How clever is that! I vote for something creative on the bottom front, we're always wanting to embellish aren't we?
Hugs, Sherry

nwalker said...

I think an applique would be beautiful and I love that shelving unit. I have an old cabinet that belonged to my mother-in-law that I want to paint and redo.She kept my husbands trophies in it from sports and other activities.I can tell it was hand built but it is an ugly brown and I think I am going to paint it white or maybe a color other than brown.I have so many projects it's unreal.
Nancy

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi! Stopped by to view your porch party post and I have so enjoyed my visit to your blog! Everything is lovely! I especially liked your button post! Great ideas! Your flowers are beautiful! I found a fushsia this weekend and would welcome any pointers you have to offer on it's care! :) ~Rhonda

joyh82 said...

What a neat collection you have on your storage unit. Love how you added bling to it and all the basket. I am a real basket lover!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Nice catching up with you this evening, Donna!

I love your little pig figurine!

I havde a mini kitchen too, and storage is always an issue -- you have good ideas for your shelving unit.

Is it hot where you are? I'm melting!

Hugs, Pat

{oc cottage} said...

WOW! That is an eyeful! Love every inch of it!

M ^..^

Adrienne said...

That is a great idea! Full of wonderful things. You have used the space wisely. I have a small kitchen but no place for a sweet cabinet like yours. I'm thinking about how I could use some of the ideas in a teeny, tiny little place at the end of one counter. I'll have to work on that idea. Thanks for sharing your pretties with us. ~Adrienne~

Life on the Edge said...

What a cute way of storing and organizing all of your things! I love the Fenton peacock vase, and that cherub door knocker is sweet!

Stop over to my site...I have an award for you! It's on today's post!

Kady
Life on Bonnie Lane

Anonymous said...

I love that shelving unit. You have combined meaningful objects with such functionality! Such sweet treasures.

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I love the pearls under glass & will be using that idea...it looks great!

Cami