Monday, June 2, 2008

The search is finally over...

If you remember, the past several months found me searching for a specific item, one that led me to many antique and junktique stores around New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Well, the reason I couldn't tell you what I was looking for was because it was a little present for my daughter's college graduation (and she has been known to take a peek at my blog from time to time, therefore I had to be very discreet!).

But now that graduation is over, I can show you what I was searching high and low for! A pair of Staffordshire dogs; actually, reproduction Staffordshire dogs... The originals are a tad out of my price range! Now I agree, that may sound like a strange college graduation present, but it's all because of this house...


For the four years my daughter went to school in Boston/ Cambridge, every time I picked her up from college, or brought her back, we drove past this beautiful little "grandma" house. (That's what I always call houses like this because they look like houses where the best kind of grandmas live, wearing aprons and putting pies on windowsills to cool... )

Oh yes, to get back to the story... There was always a pair of white Staffordshire dogs in the front window of that house and my daughter would say that someday, when she had her own place, she was definitely going to have a pair of Staffordshire dogs just like that (mental note to self.... Staffordshire dogs = fun association with college commute = great graduation present to always remind her of her college years). Alas, the house was sold last year and the dogs no longer sit in the window. However to us it was, and always will be, the "Staffordshire dog" house.


So my search led me from one place to another, hot on the trail of the elusive white dogs...


When graduation was just weeks away, it became clear that there was no guarantee I would find them locally, so I turned to the one place that never (well, almost never) lets me down.... eBay!


In no time at all I found exactly what I was looking for, and within a week's time these two precious pups arrived on my doorstep....


I've grown quite accustomed to them being here! And I think they kind of like it, too! Lucky for all of us, our daughter will be living at home for a while (at least for the summer)!!! When she eventually does move out, the hunt may be on for another pair... for me!


Photo shown with permission of copyright owner
Karsten Petersen

I also purchased this beautiful photographic print for my daughter from Karsten Petersen of Denmark. He has several photographs of Staffordshire dogs on his website and I loved this one with the bright blue window and the pitcher of flowers. Staffordshire dogs are very popular in Denmark and Karsten explains on his website that if the dogs are facing into the house, the sailor is at home... If they are facing out, then the sailor is away at sea...

So there you have it... A very successful "Staffordshire dog" search thanks to eBay and Karsten!!
Update and Correction! Karsten was kind enough to send an e-mail after reading this blog entry and give me a bit more information on the background of Staffordshire dogs... Apparently it was not just sea Captains (as I had stated above, and have now corrected), but all sailors who purchased Staffordshire dogs. He told me that the type of dogs that I bought were the ones typically purchased by crew members (legs and body joined together in a simple mold), whereas the Captain and officers would normally purchase the more refined (and more expensive) Staffordshire dogs with free and separated forelegs. Thank you so much for taking the time to send along this additional information, Karsten!

Donna

14 comments:

Life on the Edge said...

Those are adorable! I'm sure she loved them. Don't you just love eBay? When I can't find something anywhere else, that is where I turn. I've found some wonderful things there.

Michele said...

YAY!! Glad you found them in time for the graduation, and I LOVE the story behind the reason you bought them for your daughter. I bet she'll love and cherish them always!!

Michele
luvkittysmeowmail@gmail.com

Adrienne said...

Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation. And for being the proud new owner of Staffordshire dogs. They are darling and the painting is wonderful. You did a good job in your search. ~Adrienne~

Rhondi said...

Hi Donna
I am excited that you are going to join in the party. It's going to be a lot of fun. I'm going to stop by a bit later and read more of your blog, but right now I'm just making sure I get everyone's blog linked up for Thursday. See you then.
Hugs, Rhondi

Sarah Taylor said...

What a thoughtful gift, I'm sure they will be treasured for many years to come! I enjoyed the story behind why they face different directions at times...I learn something new everyday!
Sarah

JoAnne said...

What a great story. Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation. I am sure she will think not only of college but of you when she looks at these precious dogs.

joyh82 said...

How adorable! I loved the story too. I bet she loves them.

Joanne Kennedy said...

What a sweet and thoughtful gift. I'm sure she will keep these forever and one day tell her own children about them.

They do look darling in your place. You better start your hunt now so you have lots of time to find your own.

If you don't, I worry that your dear daughter may not get to take them with her. LOL

Hugs
Joanne

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story and one your daughter will always treasure.... love the little dogs... they look prefect in each place...
Hugs
Linda

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Donna!

I love those dogs and the story! The explanation of the dogs facing in or out sure makes sense! What a sweet gift from the heart to give your daughter. I think you are sooo sweet. What a precious mom you are!

Hugs, Sherry

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a wonderful present! They are beautiful and I bet your daughter was so thrilled to receive them from her very thoughtful MOM.

Do you belive I never have bought anything from E-Bay? I never even look at it. I guess I'm afraid it would be a Pandora's box and I'll get addicted to it.

Hugs, Pat

Anonymous said...

Just checking out your blog coming from The Feathered Nest. What a sweet graduation story! Love your style and the rest of your blog as well. My own daughter graduated last spring and now lives in Boston, moving from Michigan. I am coming out to visit in July and wonder if you could give me some tips on "our" kind of places or towns to shop. We have the same style, I too have been converting every room in my house to wonderful cottage, shabby chic. I will be back, I really enjoyed your blog!

Anonymous said...

Just visiting your site, coming from The Feathered Nest blog. What a sweet graduation story. It touched a cord as my own daugther graduated last spring and then moved from Mi to Boston. I will be coming to visit in July and wondered if you can give me some tips on "our" kind of places and towns to shop or flea market. I too have been converting every room in my house to wonderful cottage shabby chic style! Love your style and blog, I will be back!

Anonymous said...

Laurel, I tried to find a blog or e-mail for you, but couldn't.... Definitely e-mail me at yesteryrda@aol.com... I'm going to be doing a blog entry on a really neat store that I just came across that has 'our kind of stuff,' but the prices are way more expensive than most of the stuff I get at junktique stores (and Target, Home Goods, etc.)... My daughter is dying to get back into the city. She misses Cambridge and Boston so much. The suburbs just isn't her cup of tea anymore after having had a taste of city life!...Donna