Monday, June 23, 2008

Remembering Tasha Tudor...

One of my favorite children's book illustrators, Tasha Tudor, passed away last week at the age of 92, surrounded by her family...


These are just a few of the Tasha Tudor books that we have... I collect "The Night Before Christmas" books and hers are the most beautifully illustrated ones...


And I feel so lucky to own a signed copy of her Corgiville Christmas...


Her detailed illustrations capture the beauty of New England (she made her home in Vermont), and I never tire of looking through her books. I used to get as (or more) excited as my girls when we'd get a new stack of beautifully illustrated children's books from the library when they were little, or when we'd purchase a new children's book for our own bookshelves.


I truly believe that children's books are as much for adults as they are for children.

So thank you, Tasha, for the countless hours of enjoyment that I/we have gotten, and will continue to get, from your books.

If you click on her name in the first sentence, it will take you to her website where you can read a little Tasha Tudor biography or purchase her books, cards, prints, etc. I believe it is maintained by her family. Happy reading....

Update: As mentioned in some of the comments, Tasha Tudor was more than just an author and illustrator... she was a fascinating woman, to say the least. There are countless books about her as well as by her. I also remember watching a documentary about her life, her gardening, her animals, her dollhouse... I believe it was on PBS years ago. It was fascinating (maybe the same one you referred to, Jill)... I just found this "Pathways to the Past" article on Tasha Tudor that you may enjoy if you'd like to know even a bit more about her.

Donna

9 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

Hi Donna,

I don't know if I have ever read one of her books or not but I do know I'm going to go to the bookstore this week and buy one of her books for Trinity (my great niece). She loves to reads book and these look darling.

Hugs,
Joanne

Michele said...

Well, I'm sad to hear of her passing, but what a legacy she's left behind with her her gorgeous books!!! I could not agree with you more about picture books being for adults as much as children! I LOVE looking through children's literature and gazing at the wonderful art work and reading the stories to see what age I think would be appropriate for a particular title, etc. In fact, as a teacher, one of my most favorite things was setting up the classroom library!!

Hugs,
Michele
luvkittysmeowmail@gmail.com

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't know she had died. I love Tasha. I rented a movie from the library a few years ago it was a documentary about her and her animals/gardens. I also have a book about her gardens. I have a vintage cookbook that she illustrated about gardening that is adorable. I have always planned to visit her website and buy some flower seeds. I thought it would be wonderful to have some Tasha flowers in my own garden.
~Jill

pedalpower said...

She's one of my favorites. Her books are wonderful, but I find her lifestyle and life story even more intriguing. What an inspiration she was and continues to be.

Rue said...

Hi Donna :)

It was very sad to hear of her passing, but I think she was at peace with leaving this earth. I hope I live that long and well :)

hugs,
rue

PS. Back off my house lady! LOL

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I was sad to hear the news too, Donna, and I posted about her a few days ago. I have a few of her books and I always enjoyed her artwork. I've been a member of her family run e-mail list for years. Did you ever geta chance to visit her home or gardens? They hope to amke it a museum.
Hugs, Pat

Unknown said...

I love Tasha Tudor too! I love gorgeous illustrations. Sometimes I like using a magnifying glass and really look at the details and sometimes surprizes in the art work. Let's have a Tudor Day!

CountryMouse said...

Before today I had never heard of Tasha Tudor. Both yourself and another lady in the world of blogging paid respects to her (sorry cannot remember which blog I read it on, otherwise I would share).
Reading all that I have about Tasha Tudor I have learnt that she was truly an inspirational woman who lived a wonderful life.
I will look out for her books now so that i can appreciate her illustrations and share them with my children.
This is such a wonderful example of how much we can learn from each other in this wonderful world of blogging and meeting new people..

Life on the Edge said...

I'm not all that familiar with Tasha Tudor, but my sister in law absolutely adored her. I guess she lived near Brattleboro, Vermont, where my aunt lives. My aunt would not tell her where Tasha Tudor lived, but my sister in law has a stone from a driveway that she was hoping belonged to Tasha as a keepsake!

Kady